1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Alva
|←Alva, Fernando Alvarez de Toledo||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 1
|Alvarado, Pedro de→|
|See also Alva, Clackmannanshire on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
ALVA, a police burgh of Clackmannanshire, Scotland, 3¼ m. N. of Alloa, terminus of a branch line of the North British railway. Pop. (1891) 5225; (1901) 4624. It is situated at the foot of three front peaks of the Ochils—West Hill (1682 ft.), Middle Hill (1436 ft.) and Wood Hill (1723 ft.). There are spinning-mills, and manufactures of tweeds, tartans and other woollen goods. Silver, lead and other metals have been found in the hills, but not in paying quantities. The glen to the east of the town, in which are abandoned workings, is called the Silver Glen. Alva House is the seat of the Johnstones, a family which has been intimately connected with the district since the latter half of the 18th century.