1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Bovillae
|←Bovill, Sir William||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 4
|See also Bovillae on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
BOVILLAE, an ancient town of Latium, a station on the Via Appia (which in 293 B.C. was already paved up to this point), 11 m. S.E. of Rome. It was a colony of Alba Longa, and appears as one of the thirty cities of the Latin league; after the destruction of Alba Longa the sacra were, it was held, transferred to Bovillae, including the cult of Vesta (in inscriptions virgines Vestales Albanae are mentioned, and the inhabitants of Bovillae are always spoken of as Albani Longani Bovillenses) and that of the gens Iulia. The existence of this hereditary worship led to an increase in its importance when the Julian house rose to the highest power in the state. The knights met Augustus's dead body at Bovillae on its way to Rome, and in A.D. 16 the shrine of the family worship was dedicated anew, and yearly games in the circus instituted, probably under the charge of the sodales Augustales, whose official calendar has been found here. In history Bovillae appears as the scene of the quarrel between Milo and Clodius, in which the latter, whose villa lay above the town on the left of the Via Appia, was killed. The site is not naturally strong, and remains of early fortifications cannot be traced. It may be that Bovillae took the place of Alba Longa as a local centre after the destruction of the latter by Rome, which would explain the deliberate choice of a strategically weak position. Remains of buildings of the imperial period — the circus, a small theatre, and edifices probably connected with the post-station — may still be seen on the south-west edge of the Via Appia.
See L. Canina, Via Appia (Rome, 1853), i. 202 seq.; T. Ashby in Mélanges de l'école française de Rome (1903), p. 395. (T. As.)
- It is not likely that any remains of it now exist.