1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Gleiwitz
|←Gleim, Johann Wilhelm Ludwig||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 12
|See also Gliwice on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer. Now a town of Poland.|
GLEIWITZ, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, on the Klodnitz, and the railway between Oppeln and Cracow, 40 m. S.E. of the former town. Pop. (1875) 14,156; (1905) 61,324. It possesses two Protestant and four Roman Catholic churches, a synagogue, a mining school, a convent, a hospital, two orphanages, and barracks. Gleiwitz is the centre of the mining industry of Upper Silesia. Besides the royal foundry, with which are connected machine manufactories and boiler-works, there are other foundries, meal mills and manufactories of wire, gas pipes, cement and paper.
See B. Nietsche, Geschichte der Stadt Gleiwitz (1886); and Seidel, Die königliche Eisengiesserei zu Gleiwitz (Berlin, 1896).