1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Long Eaton
|←Longcloth||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 16
|See also Long Eaton on Wikipedia, and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
LONG EATON, an urban district in the Ilkeston parliamentary division of Derbyshire, England, 10 m. E.S.E. of Derby, on the Midland railway. Pop. (1891) 9636; (1901) 13,045. It lies in the open valley of the Trent, at a short distance from the river, and near the important Trent Junction on the Midland railway system. The church of St Lawrence has Norman portions, and an arch and window apparently of pre-Conquest date. The large industrial population of the town is occupied in the manufacture of lace, which extended hither from Nottingham; there are also railway carriage works. To the north is the township of SANDIACRE (pop. 2954), where the church has a fine Decorated chancel.