1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Louhans
|←Loughton||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 17
|See also Louhans on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
LOUHANS, a town of east-central France in the old province of Franche-Comte, now capital of an arrondissement in the department of Saône-et-Loire|Saone-et-Loire, 34 m. N.N.E. of Macon by road. Pop. (1906), 3216. Its church has a fine to wer of the 15th century, of which the balustrade is carved so as to form the first words of the Ave Maria. There are also a hospital of the i7th century with a collection of ancient earthenware, a town-hall of the i8th century and remains of ramparts of the i6th and i7th century. The town is the central market of the agricultural plain of Bresse; chickens form the chief article of commerce. There is also a large felt-hat manufactory.