1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Niagara Falls, Ontario
|←Niagara, Fort||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 19
Niagara Falls, Ontario
|Niagara Falls, New York→|
|See also Niagara Falls, Ontario on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
NIAGARA FALLS (formerly Clifton or Suspension Bridge), a town and port of entry of Welland county, Ontario, Canada, 40 m. S.S.E. of Toronto, on the west bank of the Niagara river and opposite the Falls. Pop. (1901) 4244. It is a station on the Grand Trunk, Michigan Central and St Catharines & Niagara Central railways, and has electric railway communication with the chief towns in the neighbourhood. Three large steel bridges connect it with the American town of Niagara Falls on the opposite bank. Its importance is chiefly due to the tourist traffic, but the unrivalled water power is being more and more employed. Factories have sprung up, and power is transmitted to Toronto and other cities. A beautiful park, named after Queen Victoria, extends along the bank of the river for 2½ m. above the Falls.