1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Ujiji

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

Ujiji, a town in German East Africa, also known as Kavele, situated on the eastern shores of Lake Tanganyika, in 4° 55′ S., 29° 40′ E. It is connected with Cape Town by an overland telegraph line. The population (about 14,000) is composed of Arabs and members of numerous Central African tribes. Ujiji is the meeting-point of merchants from all parts of Tanganyika, and the terminus of the caravan route from Dar-es-Salaam. Arabs from Zanzibar made Ujiji their headquarters during the first half of the 19th century, and it became a great slave and ivory mart. In 1858 Richard Burton and J. H. Speke reached Ujiji from Zanzibar, being the first Europeans to see Lake Tanganyika. In 1869 David Livingstone, coming from the south, arrived at Ujiji, and it was here that H. M. Stanley found him on the 28th of October 1871. In 1890 it came within the German sphere of influence. (See Tanganyika and German East Africa.)