1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Weissenburg-am-Sand
|←Weissenburg||1911 Encyclopædia Britannica, Volume 28
|See also Weißenburg in Bayern on Wikipedia; and our 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica disclaimer.|
WEISSENBURG-AM-SAND, a town of Germany, in the Bavarian district of Middle Franconia, situated in a pleasant and fertile country at the western foot of the Franconian Jura, 1300 ft. above the sea, and 33 m. by rail S.W. of Nuremberg by the railway to Munich. Pop. (1905) 6709. It is still surrounded by old walls and towers, and has two Gothic churches and a Gothic town-hall. The town has a mineral spring, connected with which is a bathing establishment. A Roman castle has recently been discovered, and there is a collection of antiquities in the modern school. The old fortalice of Wülzburg (2060 ft.) overlooks the town. Gold and silver fringe, bricks, cement wares, beer and cloth are manufactured. Weissenburg dates from the 8th century, and in the 14th was made a free imperial town. It passed to Bavaria in 1806.
See C. Meyer, Chronik der Stadt Weissenburg in Bayern (Munich, 1904); and Fabricius, Das Kastell Weissenburg (Heidelberg, 1906).