1922 Encyclopædia Britannica/Johns Hopkins University
|←John, Griffith||1922 Encyclopædia Britannica
Johns Hopkins University
|Johnson, Hiram Warren→|
|See also Johns Hopkins University on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (see 15.460) moved in 1916 to its new site at Homewood in the northern suburbs of Baltimore, and all departments were established there except those of graduate chemistry, medicine and hygiene. On the resignation in Jan. 1913 of Dr. Remsen, Dr. Frank J. Goodnow, who had been associated with the faculty of Columbia since 1883, took his place as president in Oct. 1914.
The faculty in 1920 numbered 380, the students 3,300, as against 175 faculty members and 683 students in 1907. In 1920 the library contained 226,000 bound volumes. In 1909 college courses were established for teachers and others (both men and women), given at afternoon and evening hours and on Saturday mornings, and leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts. Summer courses, graduate and collegiate, work in which is credited towards various degrees, were inaugurated in 1911, and in 1916 evening classes were added under the title “courses in busines economics” and “courses for technical workers,” the latter conducted by the engineering department. These are open to men and women. By Act of the Maryland Legislature the department of engineering was established in 1912. This provided four-year courses in civil, electrical and mechanical engineering and in chemistry, as well as advanced graduate courses.
In June 1916, the Rockefeller Foundation of New York notified the university that the Foundation was prepared “to cooperate with the University in the establishment of a School of Hygiene and Public Health for the advancement of knowledge and the training of investigators, teachers, officials and other workers in these fields.” The offer was accepted. Dr. William H. Welch was appointed director and Dr. William H. Howell was named to assist in the work of organization and administration. The main objects of the school were to establish courses for the training of qualified persons for public health work, to promote investigative work in hygiene and preventive medicine and to provide opportunities for the training of investigators in these subjects. Men and women are admitted on the same terms.