1922 Encyclopædia Britannica/Leland Stanford Jr. University
|←Lehmann, Liza||1922 Encyclopædia Britannica
Leland Stanford Jr. University
|Lemaître, François Élie Jules→|
|See also Stanford University on Wikipedia, and the disclaimer.|
LELAND STANFORD JR. UNIVERSITY (see 16.406). The work of the university was so reorganized during the decade 1910-20 that the first two years constituted a so-called lower division with certain specified requirements, including biology, a course in citizenship, etc. The major department system became operative at the beginning of the junior year, and degrees were granted upon the recommendation of the departments. The institution sold some of its large ranch property in 1919, and in 1921 had about $25,000,000 in investment securities and an educational plant that included the Stanford Medical School, Lane and Stanford hospitals, Stanford school for nurses, the Lane medical library, all in San Francisco, and the Hopkins marine station on Monterey Bay, the whole valued at $10,000,000. The medical school owed its origin to the fact that the directors of the Cooper Medical College in 1910 turned over that institution and the associate Lane hospital to Stanford. In addition to the schools of law, medicine and education, a graduate school was organized with a dean at its head in 1917. New dormitories for women were constructed and a housing scheme inaugurated whereby practically all the faculty and students will eventually live on the college campus. Volumes in the library numbered 319,872 in 1920, of which 48,187 are in the Lane medical library and 23,360 in the law library.
In 1920-1 the students numbered 2,489, of whom 500 were women and 281 graduates, a gain of 43% over the 1907-8 figures, which were 1,738, of whom 500 were women and 126 graduates. Limitation in the size of the endowments and of the facilities of the plant caused a restriction in the student body to something over 2,000. Only 500 men with less than a year and a half of college standing are admitted each year, but there are no limitations for upper-class students. The tuition fee in 1920 was $40 per quarter, but after Oct. 1 1921 it was to be $75.00. There was in operation a tuition note system by which worthy students might delay payment of tuition until three or more years after graduation. Although in 1921 military training was not required, there was a field artillery unit of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps.
During the World War Stanford was represented by about 3,000 of its members, graduates and undergraduates, of whom 70 lost their lives. A Students' Army Training Corps unit, comprising practically all the men students, was organized during the war period.
Dr. John Casper Brauner, a distinguished geologist, was president from 1913 to 1915. Dr. Ray Lyman Wilbur became president Jan. 1 1916. (R. L. W.)