A Century of Wrong
|A Century of Wrong (1900)
by , translator not mentioned
|Preface by W.T. Stead→|
South African War (Second Anglo-Boer War), F.W. Reitz, in his capacity of State Secretary of the South African Republic, published an overview of Anglo-Boer relations in the nineteenth century in Dutch, under the title Eene eeuw van onrecht. The book was an important propaganda instrument against the British.
At the advent of the |
The actual authorship of the book is unclear. The second Dutch edition of the book carried the text 'Op last van den staatssekretaris der Z.A.R., F.W. Reitz' ('By order of the State Secretary of the S.A.R., F.W. Reitz'). J.C. Smuts is indicated as author, but probably only edited the introduction and the end of the book, in collaboration with the historian E.J.P. Jorissen. The rest of the text was probably prepared by J. de Villiers Roos.
In 1900, translations appeared in German and English. The English translation, reproduced here, only carried the name of Reitz, and has a preface by the British (pro-Boer) journalist W.T. Stead. The English edition contains more material than the original Dutch edition.
Title Page. 
A CENTURY OF WRONG
State Secretary of the South African Republic
WITH PREFACE BY
'Audi Alteram Partem'
LONDON: 'REVIEW OF REVIEWS' OFFICE, MOWBRAY HOUSE, NORFOLK STREET, W.C. 
- The Cape of Good Hope
- The Founding of Natal
- The Orange Free State
- The South African Republic
- The Conventions of 1881 and 1884
- Capitalistic Jingoism – First Period
- Capitalistic Jingoism – Second Period
- Appendix A. Lord Derby's Dispatch on Convention of 1884
- Appendix B. The Annexation of the Diamond Fields
- Appendix C. The Reply to Mr. Chamberlain's Dispatch on Grievances
- Appendix D. The Final Dispatch of Mr. State Secretary Reitz
- Appendix E. The Text of the Conventions, 1852, 1881, and 1884
- W.J. Leyds, Tweede verzameling, I, XV-XVI; F. Oudschans Dentz, Nieuwe Rotterdamsche Courant 17 Aug. 1934; H.T. Colenbrander, De Gids, C, 6 (June 1936), 340-341.
- Latin: "Hear the other side"
|This is a translation and has a separate copyright status from the original text. The license for the translation applies to this edition only.|