A Memoir of the Last Year of the War for Independence in the Confederate States of America
|A Memoir of the Last Year of the War for Independence in the Confederate States of America (1866)
|First edition published in 1866, second edition in 1867. This is the second edition.|
THE LAST YEAR
WAR FOR INDEPENDENCE,
CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA,
AN ACCOUNT OF THE OPERATIONS OF HIS COMMANDS
IN THE YEARS 1864 and 1865.
LIEUTENANT-GENERAL JUBAL A. EARLY,
OF THE PROVISIONAL ARMY OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES.
To the Memory of the Heroic Dead, who fell fighting for Liberty, Right & Justice.
PUBLISHED BY CHARLES W. BUTTON,
Campaign in Virgina from the Rapidan to the James River
- Battles of the Wilderness—Operations from Early's Division
- Battles of Spotsylvania Court House—Operations of Hill's Corps
- Hanover Junction—Operations of Early's Division
- Battles of Cold Harbour—Operations of Ewell's Corps
Campaign in Maryland and the Valley of Virginia
- March to Lynchburg and Pursuit of Hunter 
- March down the Valley and Operations in the Lower Valley and Maryland
- Battle of Monocacy
- Operations in front of Washington and recrossing the Potomac
- Return to the Valley and Operations there
- Battle of Kernstown
- Expedition into Maryland and Pennsylvania—Burning of Chambersburg
- Retreat to Fisher's Hill and subsequent Operations until the Battle of Winchester
- Battle of Winchester
- Affair at Fisher's Hill
- Retreat up the Valley and Operations until the Battle of Cedar Creek
- Battle of Cedar Creek or Belle Grove
- Close of the Valley Campaign
- Operations in 1865
This work was published before January 1, 1923, and is in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago.