Author:Charles Evans Hughes
|←Author Index: Hu||Charles Evans Hughes
|Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States (1910–1916, appointed by William Howard Taft); United States Secretary of State (1921–1925, appointed by Warren G. Harding); judge on the Court of International Justice (1928–1930); 11th Chief Justice of the United States (1930-1941, appointed by President Herbert Hoover, succeeding Taft, succeeded by Harlan F. Stone).36th Governor of New York (1907–1910);|
Supreme Court Opinions
Opinions of the Court
- Collins v. Kentucky 234 U.S. 634 (1914)
- Near v. Minnesota 283 U.S. 697 (1931)
- Commonwealth of Virginia v. Imperial Coal Sales Co., 293 U.S. 15 (1934)
- Detroit Trust Co. v. The Thomas Barlum, 293 U.S. 21 (1934)
- Lynch v. People of New York ex rel. Pierson, 293 U.S. 52 (1934)
- Borden's Farm Products Co. v. Baldwin, 293 U.S. 194 (1934)
- Helvering v. Powers, 293 U.S. 214 (1934)
- Schumacher v. Beeler, 293 U.S. 367 (1934)
- Enelow v. New York Life Ins. Co., 293 U.S. 379 (1935)
- Adamos v. New York Life Ins. Co., 293 U.S. 386 (1935)
- Panama Refining Co. v. Ryan, 293 U.S. 388 (1935)
Opinions concurring in part and dissenting in part
- “Hughes, Charles Evans,” The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co., 1914.
- “Hughes, Charles Evans” in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- “Hughes, Charles Evans,” Collier's New Encyclopedia. New York: P.F. Collier & Son Co., 1921.
- “Hughes, Charles Evans,” Encyclopædia Britannica (12th ed.), 1922.