Author:George Woosung Wade
|←Author Index: Wa||George Woosung Wade
cleric, professor, and author;|
b. 16 Aug. 1858 in Woosung (port of Shanghai, China), son of Joseph Henry Wade capt. of barque 'Enterprise'and Hannah (n. Atkinson), and educated at Monmouth School and Oriel College, Oxford (scholar). He took a first class in Classical Honours Moderations (1879) and a second class in Literae Humaniores (1882). He was made deacon in 1885 and ordained priest in 1886. After serving as curate of Basing, Hampshire, from 1885 to 1888, he was appointed to the chair of Latin at St. David's College, Lampeter, and remained there for forty-four years, retiring from his chair and from the Senior Tutorship in 1932. He m. Rachel Elinor, dau. of the Rev. F.H. Joyce, and sister of Gilbert Cunningham Joyce, Bishop of Monmouth (see above). In 1934 he received the degree of D.D. (honoris causa) of the University of Wales, and he was also a canon of S. Asaph Cathedral. He d. at Monmouth on 15 October, 1941, and was buried there.
||There are no works on Wikisource by this author. If you'd like to add a new text, please review Help:Adding texts.|
- Amos (1900)
- Book of Genesis (Longmans 1896)
- Book of the Prophet Isiah (Westminster Commentaries 1911) 2nd ed. 1929
- Books of Micah, Obadiah, Joel and Hosiah (Westminster Commentaries 1925)
- Elementary chapters in comparative philology (1887)
- Gospel according to Saint John (Murby 1936)
- Gospel according to St. Mark (Murby 1936)
- Gospel according to St. Matthew (Murby 1936)
- Gospel of Luke (Murby 1936)
- Little guide to Herefordshire (Methuen 1917), 3rd. ed. 1930
- New Testament history (Methuen 1922), 2nd ed. 1932
- Old Testament history (Methuen 1901), 10th ed. 1926, 12th ed. 1934, 13th ed. 1951
Publications with Stonehouse, G. G. V.
- Books of Zephaniah, Nahum and Habakkak (Westminster Commentaries 1929)
Publications with his brother; Wade, Joseph Henry
- Little guide to Somerset (Methuen 1907) 9th ed. 1933, 10th ed. 1949.
- Little guide to Monmouthshire (Methuen 1909) 2nd ed. 1930.
- Little guide to South Wales (Methuen 1913) 2nd ed. 1930
- 2 Samuel (Murby 1918)
- Documents of the New Testament (Murby 1934)
Some or all works by this author are in the public domain in the United States because they were published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1941, so works by this author are also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 70 years or less. Works by this author may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.