|←Author Index: Ar||Matthew Arnold
An English poet and cultural critic.
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "M. A."
The following are published works of poetry. For individual poems, see Author:Matthew Arnold/Index of Titles.
- Alaric at Rome (1840)
- Cromwell (1843)
- The strayed reveller, and other poems (1849, as "A.")
- Empedocles on Etna, and other poems (1852)
- Poems, a new edition (1853)
- Poems, second series (1854)
- Merope, a tragedy (1858)
- Saint Brandan (1867)
- New Poems (1867)
- Poems (1869, in 2 vols.)
- Poems (1877, new and complete edition)
- Selected poems of Matthew Arnold (1878, selected by Arnold)
- Geist's Grave (1881)
- The Matthew Arnold birthday book (1883, arr. by Arnold's daughter)
- The poetical works of Matthew Arnold (1897, complete edition)
- Poems of Wordsworth (1879)
- Poetry of Byron (1881)
- England and the Italian Question (1859)
- On Translating Homer (1861)
- The Popular Education of France (1861)
- On Translating Homer: Last Words (1862)
- A French Eton (1864)
- Essays in Criticism (1865)
- On the Study of Celtic Literature (1867)
- Essays in Celtic Literature (1868)
- Culture and Anarchy (1869)
- St. Paul and Protestantism (1870)
- Friendship's Garland (1871)
- Literature and Dogma (1873)
- God and the Bible (1875)
- Last Essays on Church and Religion (1877)
- Mixed Essays (1879)
- Irish Essays (1882)
- Discourses in America (1885)
- The Study of Celtic Literature (1891, the "Popular Edition" of On the Study of Celtic Literature)
- Civilization in the United States, first published in Nineteenth Century (~1888)
- “Sainte-Beuve, Charles Augustin” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911.
Articles in Popular Science Monthly
Works about Arnold
- “Arnold, Matthew” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Arnold, Matthew” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911.
- Matthew Arnold (The Century Magazine, April 1894:931-37)
- Matthew Arnold: A later estimate, from the point of view of one who knew him well (Lippincott's Monthly, December 1909:670-74)
- "Matthew Arnold" in Cartoon portraits and biographical sketches of men of the day, by anonymous, illustrated by Frederick Waddy, London: Tinsley Brothers, 1873.
- “Arnold, Matthew” in Men of the Time, eleventh edition, London: George Routledge and Sons, (1884).
- “Arnold, Matthew,” The New Student's Reference Work, Chicago: F.E. Compton and Co., 1914.
- "Matthew Arnold" in Leslie Stephen's Studies of a Biographer, vol. 2
- “Arnold, Matthew,” in Dictionary of National Biography Supplement, London: Smith, Elder, & Co., (1901) in 3 vols.
Works by this author published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.