Author:Ralph Waldo Emerson
|←Author Index: Em||Ralph Waldo Emerson
|American essayist and transcendentalist philosopher.|
Essays and Collections
- Nature (1836)
- The American Scholar (1837)
- Concord Hymn (1837)
- Divinity School Address (1838)
- Literary Ethics (1838)
- Essays (1841); revised and reissued as Essays: First Series (1847)
- Man the Reformer (1841)
- The Conservative (1841)
- The Method of Nature (1841)
- The Transcendentalist (1842)
- Essays: Second Series (1844)
- The Young American (1844)
- Poems (1847)
- Representative Men (1850)
- English Traits (1856)
- The Conduct of Life (1860)
- May-Day and Other Pieces (1867)
- Lectures and Biographical Sketches (1868)
- Society and Solitude (1870)
- Parnassus (1874)
- Letters and Social Aims (1876)
- Selected Poems (1876)
- Poems: Household Edition (1890 and several other editions)
- The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Riverside Edition (1884)
- The Complete Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Centenary Edition (1904)
- "The Rhodora"
- "The Chartist's Complaint"
- "The Rommany Girl"
- "Two Rivers"
- "William Rufus and the Jew"
- "The Wind and Stream"
- "The Mountain and the Squirrel" (quoted in An Argosy of Fables (1921))
Published Translator of Poems
Poems in Manuscript
Translator of Poems in Manuscript
- Alas, Alas, that I am betrayed by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
- The power of a beautiful face lifts me to heaven by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
- Sweet, sweet, is sleep,—Ah! sweeter, to be stone by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
- Wo is me woe's me when I think by Michel Angerlo Buonorotti
Works about Emerson
- A Fable for Critics (1848) by James Russell Lowell
- “Ralph Waldo Emerson” in Littell's Living Age, 1 (1)
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” in The American Cyclopædia, 1879
- George Parsons Lathrop, “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1900.
- William Peterfield Trent, “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” The New International Encyclopædia. New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1905.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo,” in A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature by John William Cousin, London: J. M. Dent & Sons, 1910.
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” in Encyclopædia Britannica, (11th ed.), 1911
- “Emerson, Ralph Waldo” by Franklin Benjamin Sanborn in The Encyclopedia Americana. New York, 1920.
- "Emerson" in Studies of a Biographer vol. 4 (1902) by Leslie Stephen
Works by this author published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.