Author:Romesh Chunder Dutt
|←Author Index: Du||Romesh Chunder Dutt
Bengali writer, civil servant, economic historian, and translator of Ramayana and Mahabharata. He was president of the Indian National Congress in 1899.
This author wrote articles for the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica.
Articles attributed to this author are designated in EB1911 by the initials "R. C. D."
- Three Years in Europe (1872)
- The Peasantry of Bangal, being a View of their Condition under the Hindu, the Mahomedan, and the English Rule, and a Consideration of the Means Calculated to Improve their Future Prospects, Calcutta, Thacker, Spink; London: Trübner (1874); ed. Narahari Kaviraj, Calcutta, Manisha (1980)
- The Literature of Bengal: a Biographical and Critical History from the Earliest Times, Closing with a Review of Intellectual Progress under British Rule in India. I.C.Bose & Co., Calcutta (1877) (External scan); Calcutta, T. Spink (1895); 3rd ed., Cultural Heritage of Bengal Calcutta, Punthi Pustak (1962).
- Mādhabī kaṅkaṇa in Bengali (1879)
- Rajput jivan sandhya (1879); Pratap Singh: The Last of the Rajputs, A Tale of Rajput Courage and Chivalry, tr. Ajoy Chandra Dutt. Calcutta: Elm Press (1943); Allahabad, Kitabistan, (1963)]].
- Rig Veda translation into Bengali (1885): R̥gveda saṃhitā / Rameśacandra Dattera anubāda abalambane ; bhūmikā, Hiraṇmaẏa Bandyopādhyāẏa, Kalakātā , Harapha (1976).
- Hinduśāstra : naẏa khaṇḍa ekatre eka khaṇḍe / Rameśacandra Datta sampādita, Kalikātā, Satyayantre Mudrita, 1300; Niu Lāiṭa, 1401 .
- A History of Civilization in Ancient India, Based on Sanscrit Literature. 3 vols. Thacker, Spink and Co.; Trübner and Co., Calcutta-London (1890) Reprinted, Elibron Classics (2001). (External scan)
- A Brief History of Bengal, S.K. Lahiri (1893).
- Lays of Ancient India: Selections from Indian Poetry Rendered into English Verse. London: Kegan Paul, Trench, Trübner (1894); Rupa (2002). ISBN 8171678882
- Reminiscences of a Workman's Life: verses Calcutta, Elen Press (1896); Calcutta: n.p. (1956).
- England and India: a record of progress during a hundred years, 1785-1885 (1897); New Delhi, India : Mudgal Publications, 1985.
- Mahabharata (Dutt): the epic of India rendered into English verse, London: J. M. Dent and Co., 1898. Project Gutenberg
- The Ramayana: the epic of Rama rendered into English verse, London: J.M. Dent and Co., 1899. 194 p.
- The Ramayana and the Mahabharata: the great epics of ancient India condensed into English verse, London: J.M. Dent and Co., 1900. Reprint 1910. xii, 335p. Also, Everyman’s Library, New York, Dutton (1929).Internet Sacred Texts Archive.
- Shivaji; or the morning of Maratha life, tr. by Krishnalal Mohanlal Jhaveri. Ahmedabad, M. N. Banavatty (1899). Also: tr. by Ajoy C. Dutt. Allahabad, Kitabistan (1944).
- Open Letters to Lord Curzon on Famines and Land Assessments in India, London, Trübner (1900) 2005 ed. Adamant Media Corporation, Elibron Classics Series, ISBN 1-4021-5115-2. (External scan)
- The lake of palms. A story of Indian domestic life, translated by the author. London, T.F. Unwin (1902); abridged by P.V. Kulkarni, Bombay, n.p. (1931).
- Speeches and papers on Indian questions 1901 and 1902, Elm Press, Calcutta (1902) (External scan)
- The Economic History of India Under Early British Rule, London, Kegan Paul, Trench Trübner
- Indian poetry. Selected and Rendered into English by R.C. Dutt London: J. M. Dent (1905).
- Indian trade, manufactures and finance: Being chapters represented from 'the economic history of India' and 'India in the Victorian age' Elm Press, Calcutta (1905) (External scan)
- Congress and conference of 1905 G A Nateare and Company, Madras (1906) (External scan)
- The Slave Girl of Agra: An Indian Historical Romance, Based on Madhavikankan. London: T.F. Unwin (1909); Calcutta, Dasgupta (1922).
Works by this author published before January 1, 1923 are in the public domain worldwide because the author died at least 100 years ago. Translations or editions published later may be copyrighted. Posthumous works may be copyrighted based on how long they have been published in certain countries and areas.