Bible (World English)/Joel
Chapter 1 
1 The Word of Yahweh that came to Joel, the son of Pethuel.
2 Hear this, you elders,
- And listen, all you inhabitants of the land.
- Has this ever happened in your days,
- or in the days of your fathers?
3 Tell your children about it,
- and have your children tell their children,
- and their children, another generation.
4 What the swarming locust has left, the great locust has eaten.
- What the great locust has left, the grasshopper has eaten.
- What the grasshopper has left, the caterpillar has eaten.
5 Wake up, you drunkards, and weep!
- Wail, all you drinkers of wine, because of the sweet wine;
- for it is cut off from your mouth.
6 For a nation has come up on my land, strong, and without number.
- His teeth are the teeth of a lion,
- and he has the fangs of a lioness.
7 He has laid my vine waste,
- and stripped my fig tree.
- He has stripped its bark, and thrown it away.
- Its branches are made white.
8 Mourn like a virgin dressed in sackcloth for the husband of her youth! 9 The meal offering and the drink offering are cut off from Yahweh’s house.
- The priests, Yahweh’s ministers, mourn.
10 The field is laid waste.
- The land mourns, for the grain is destroyed,
- The new wine has dried up,
- and the oil languishes.
11 Be confounded, you farmers!
- Wail, you vineyard keepers;
- for the wheat and for the barley;
- for the harvest of the field has perished.
12 The vine has dried up, and the fig tree withered;
- the pomegranate tree, the palm tree also, and the apple tree,
- even all of the trees of the field are withered;
- for joy has withered away from the sons of men.
13 Put on sackcloth and mourn, you priests!
- Wail, you ministers of the altar.
- Come, lie all night in sackcloth, you ministers of my [#N2 God],
- for the meal offering and the drink offering are withheld from your God’s house.
14 Sanctify a fast.
- Call a solemn assembly.
- Gather the elders,
- and all the inhabitants of the land, to the house of Yahweh, your God,
- and cry to Yahweh.
15 Alas for the day!
- For the day of Yahweh is at hand,
- and it will come as destruction from the Almighty.
16 Isn’t the food cut off before our eyes;
- joy and gladness from the house of our God?
17 The seeds rot under their clods.
- The granaries are laid desolate.
- The barns are broken down, for the grain has withered.
18 How the animals groan!
- The herds of livestock are perplexed, because they have no pasture.
- Yes, the flocks of sheep are made desolate.
19 Yahweh, I cry to you,
- For the fire has devoured the pastures of the wilderness,
- and the flame has burned all the trees of the field.
20 Yes, the animals of the field pant to you,
- for the water brooks have dried up,
- And the fire has devoured the pastures of the wilderness.
Chapter 2 
- and sound an alarm in my holy mountain!
- Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble,
- for the day of Yahweh comes,
- for it is close at hand:
2 A day of darkness and gloominess,
- a day of clouds and thick darkness.
- As the dawn spreading on the mountains,
- a great and strong people;
- there has never been the like,
- neither will there be any more after them,
- even to the years of many generations.
3 A fire devours before them,
- and behind them, a flame burns.
- The land is as the garden of Eden before them,
- and behind them, a desolate wilderness.
- Yes, and no one has escaped them.
4 The appearance of them is as the appearance of horses,
- and as horsemen, so do they run.
5 Like the noise of chariots on the tops of the mountains do they leap,
- like the noise of a flame of fire that devours the stubble,
- as a strong people set in battle array.
6 At their presence the peoples are in anguish.
- All faces have grown pale.
7 They run like mighty men.
- They climb the wall like warriors.
- They each march in his line, and they don’t swerve off course.
8 Neither does one jostle another;
- they march everyone in his path,
- and they burst through the defenses,
- and don’t break ranks.
9 They rush on the city.
- They run on the wall.
- They climb up into the houses.
- They enter in at the windows like thieves.
10 The earth quakes before them.
- The heavens tremble.
- The sun and the moon are darkened,
- and the stars withdraw their shining.
11 Yahweh thunders his voice before his army;
- for his forces are very great;
- for he is strong who obeys his command;
- for the day of Yahweh is great and very awesome,
- and who can endure it?
12 “Yet even now,” says Yahweh, “turn to me with all your heart,
- and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning.”
13 Tear your heart, and not your garments,
- and turn to Yahweh, your God;
- for he is gracious and merciful,
- slow to anger, and abundant in loving kindness,
- and relents from sending calamity.
14 Who knows? He may turn and relent,
- and leave a blessing behind him,
- even a meal offering and a drink offering to Yahweh, your God.
15 Blow the trumpet in Zion!
- Sanctify a fast.
- Call a solemn assembly.
16 Gather the people.
- Sanctify the assembly.
- Assemble the elders.
- Gather the children, and those who suck the breasts.
- Let the bridegroom go forth from his room,
- and the bride out of her chamber.
17 Let the priests, the ministers of Yahweh, weep between the porch and the altar,
- and let them say, “Spare your people, Yahweh,
- and don’t give your heritage to reproach,
- that the nations should rule over them.
- Why should they say among the peoples,
- ‘Where is their God?’”
18 Then Yahweh was jealous for his land,
- And had pity on his people.
19 Yahweh answered his people,
- “Behold, I will send you grain, new wine, and oil,
- and you will be satisfied with them;
- and I will no more make you a reproach among the nations.
20 But I will remove the northern army far away from you,
- and will drive it into a barren and desolate land,
- its front into the eastern sea,
- and its back into the western sea;
- and its stench will come up,
- and its bad smell will rise.”
- Surely he has done great things.
21 Land, don’t be afraid.
- Be glad and rejoice, for Yahweh has done great things.
22 Don’t be afraid, you animals of the field;
- for the pastures of the wilderness spring up,
- for the tree bears its fruit.
- The fig tree and the vine yield their strength.
23 “Be glad then, you children of Zion,
- and rejoice in Yahweh, your God;
- for he gives you the former rain in just measure,
- and he causes the rain to come down for you,
- the former rain and the latter rain,
- as before.
24 The threshing floors will be full of wheat,
- and the vats will overflow with new wine and oil.
25 I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten,
- the great locust, the grasshopper, and the caterpillar,
- my great army, which I sent among you.
26 You will have plenty to eat, and be satisfied,
- and will praise the name of Yahweh, your God,
- who has dealt wondrously with you;
- and my people will never again be disappointed.
27 You will know that I am in the midst of Israel,
- and that I am Yahweh, your God, and there is no one else;
- and my people will never again be disappointed.
28 “It will happen afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh;
- and your sons and your daughters will prophesy.
- Your old men will dream dreams.
- Your young men will see visions.
29 And also on the servants and on the handmaids in those days,
- I will pour out my Spirit.
30 I will show wonders in the heavens and in the earth:
- blood, fire, and pillars of smoke.
31 The sun will be turned into darkness,
- and the moon into blood,
- before the great and terrible day of Yahweh comes.
32 It will happen that whoever will call on the name of Yahweh shall be saved;
- for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be those who escape,
- as Yahweh has said,
- and among the remnant, those whom Yahweh calls.
Chapter 3 
- and in that time,
- when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,
2 I will gather all nations,
- and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat;
- and I will execute judgment on them there for my people,
- and for my heritage, Israel, whom they have scattered among the nations.
- They have divided my land,
- 3 and have cast lots for my people,
- and have given a boy for a prostitute,
- and sold a girl for wine, that they may drink.
4 “Yes, and what are you to me, Tyre, and Sidon,
- and all the regions of Philistia?
- Will you repay me?
- And if you repay me,
- I will swiftly and speedily return your repayment on your own head.
5 Because you have taken my silver and my gold,
- and have carried my finest treasures into your temples,
- 6 and have sold the children of Judah and the children of Jerusalem to the sons of the Greeks,
- that you may remove them far from their border.
7 Behold, I will stir them up out of the place where you have sold them,
- and will return your repayment on your own head;
8 and I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hands of the children of Judah,
- and they will sell them to the men of Sheba,
- to a faraway nation,
- for Yahweh has spoken it.”
9 Proclaim this among the nations:
- “Prepare for war!
- Stir up the mighty men.
- Let all the warriors draw near.
- Let them come up. 10 Beat your plowshares into swords,
- and your pruning hooks into spears.
- Let the weak say, ‘I am strong.’
11 Hurry and come, all you surrounding nations,
- and gather yourselves together.”
- Cause your mighty ones to come down there, Yahweh.
12 “Let the nations arouse themselves,
- and come up to the valley of Jehoshaphat;
- for there will I sit to judge all the surrounding nations.
13 Put in the sickle;
- for the harvest is ripe.
- Come, tread, for the winepress is full,
- the vats overflow, for their wickedness is great.”
14 Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision!
- For the day of Yahweh is near, in the valley of decision.
15 The sun and the moon are darkened,
- and the stars withdraw their shining.
16 Yahweh will roar from Zion,
- and thunder from Jerusalem;
- and the heavens and the earth will shake;
- but Yahweh will be a refuge to his people,
- and a stronghold to the children of Israel.
17 “So you will know that I am Yahweh, your God,
- dwelling in Zion, my holy mountain.
- Then Jerusalem will be holy,
- and no strangers will pass through her any more.
18 It will happen in that day,
- that the mountains will drop down sweet wine,
- the hills will flow with milk,
- all the brooks of Judah will flow with waters,
- and a fountain will come forth from the house of Yahweh,
- and will water the valley of Shittim.
19 Egypt will be a desolation,
- and Edom will be a desolate wilderness,
- for the violence done to the children of Judah,
- because they have shed innocent blood in their land.
20 But Judah will be inhabited forever,
- and Jerusalem from generation to generation.
21 I will cleanse their blood,
- that I have not cleansed:
- for Yahweh dwells in Zion.”
|Genesis • Exodus • Leviticus • Numbers • Deuteronomy • Joshua • Judges • Ruth • 1 Samuel • 2 Samuel • 1 Kings • 2 Kings • 1 Chronicles • 2 Chronicles • Ezra • Nehemiah • Esther • Job • Psalms • Proverbs • Ecclesiastes • Song of Solomon • Isaiah • Jeremiah • Lamentations • Ezekiel • Daniel • Hosea • Joel • Amos • Obadiah • Jonah • Micah • Nahum • Habakkuk • Zephaniah • Haggai • Zechariah • Malachi|
|Tobit • Judith • Esther (Greek) • Baruch • Daniel (Greek) • Jeremiah's Letter|
|Matthew • Mark • Luke • John • Acts • Romans • 1 Corinthians • 2 Corinthians • Galatians • Ephesians • Philippians • Colossians • 1 Thessalonians • 2 Thessalonians • 1 Timothy • 2 Timothy • Titus • Philemon • Hebrews • James • 1 Peter • 2 Peter • 1 John • 2 John • 3 John • Jude • Revelation|