California Streets and Highways Code/Section 250-257
|California Streets and Highways Code
STREETS AND HIGHWAYS CODE SECTION 250-257
250. It is hereby declared to be essential to the future development of the State of California to establish and construct a statewide system of freeways and expressways and connections thereto without regard to present jurisdiction over the highways, roads, and streets that might be included. It is the intent, further, that the California Freeway and Expressway System be completed with provision for control of access to the extent necessary to preserve the value and utility of the facilities to be constructed.
251. It is further declared to be essential to the future development of the State of California that the deficiencies on the State Highway System not a part of the California Freeway and Expressway System and deficiencies on connections to the State Highway System be corrected simultaneously with the highways in the California Freeway and Expressway System in proportion to the relative deficiencies and the needs of traffic service.
252. The Legislature recognizes that the dynamic growth of this State will require periodic review of the California Freeway and Expressway System. The Legislature recognizes further that all highway planning and construction work should be correlated with a plan to provide a comprehensive system of access-controlled freeways and expressways throughout the State, and that the California Freeway and Expressway System established by this article has been selected and developed as a result of scientific studies by all levels of government in the State of California.
253. The California Freeway and Expressway System is hereby established and shall be composed of the highways specified in this article.
Section 253.1 
253.1. The California freeway and expressway system shall include:
Routes 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 24, 28, 32, 34, 37, 40, 44, 47, 48, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 59, 60, 61, 63, 65, 67, 68, 70, 71, 73, 74, 78, 80, 81, 83, 85, 87, 88, 89, 90, 93, 97, 100, 102, 103, 105, 107, 108, 118, 121, 122, 124, 125, 126, 134, 136, 139, 140, 145, 148, 149, 154, 156, 161, 163, 164, 179, 181, 183, 184, 199, 205, 210, 215, 217, 221, 223, 230, 232, 234, 235, 237, 238, 239, 241, 242, 247, 249, 251, 257, 258, 259, 261, 280, 330, 371, 380, 405, 505, 580, 605, 680, 710, 780, 805, 880, and 980 in their entirety.
Section 253.2 
253.2. The California freeway and expressway system shall also include:
Route 1 
Route 1 from:
(a) Los Angeles-Ventura county line to Route 101 near El Rio.
(b) Route 101 near Las Cruces to Route 227 south of Oceano.
(c) Route 101 near San Luis Obispo to San Simeon.
(d) The north limits of Carmel to the west city limits of Santa Cruz.
(e) The Higgins-Purisima Road to Route 280 south of San Francisco.
(f) Route 280 to the San Francisco county line.
(g) Route 101 near the southerly end of Marin Peninsula to the vicinity of Valley Ford.
(h) Route 128 near the mouth of the Navarro River to Route 101 near Leggett.
Route 2 
Route 2 from Glendale Boulevard in Los Angeles County to Route 210.
Route 3 
Route 3 from Route 299 near Weaverville to Route 5 near Yreka.
Route 4 
Route 4 from:
(a) Route 80 in Hercules to Route 99 near Stockton.
(b) Route 99 near Stockton to Route 65.
Route 12 
Route 12 from:
(a) Route 1 near Valley Ford to Route 101 at Santa Rosa.
(b) Route 101 near Santa Rosa to Melita Road near Santa Rosa.
(c) Route 29 in the vicinity of Napa to Route 80 near Cordelia.
(d) Route 80 near Fairfield to Route 99 near Lodi via Rio Vista.
(e) Route 99 near Lodi to Route 88 near Lockeford.
(f) Route 88 near Clements to Route 49 near San Andreas.
Route 13 
Route 13 from:
(a) Route 61 near the Oakland International Airport to Route 24.
(b) Route 80 to Route 61 near Emeryville.
Route 16 
Route 16 from:
(a) Route 505 to Route 5 near Woodland.
(b) Route 50 near Perkins to Route 49 near Drytown.
Route 17 
Route 17 from:
(a) Route 1 near Santa Cruz to Granite Creek Road near Scott's Valley.
(b) The south city limits of Los Gatos to Route 280 in San Jose.
Route 20 
Route 20 from Route 101 to Route 80 near Emigrant Gap.
Section 253.3 
253.3. The California freeway and expressway system shall also include:
Route 22 
Route 22 from:
(a) Studebaker Road in Long Beach to Route 405.
(b) Route 405 to Route 55 near Orange.
Route 23 
Route 23 from:
(a) Route 101 in Thousand Oaks to Route 118.
(b) Route 118 to Route 126 near Fillmore.
Route 25 
Route 25 from:
(a) Route 180 near Paicines to Route 156 in Hollister.
(b) Route 156 in Hollister to Route 101 near Gilroy.
Route 26 
Route 26 from Route 99 near Stockton to Route 12.
Route 29 
Route 29 from:
(a) Route 80 near Vallejo to Oak Knoll Avenue north of the City of Napa.
(b) The Napa-Lake county line to Route 20.
Route 33 
Route 33 from:
(a) Route 101 near Ventura to Route 150.
(b) Route 150 to Route 166 near Maricopa.
(c) Route 152 west of Los Banos to Route 5 near Santa Nella.
Route 35 
Route 35 from Route 280 to Route 1 near Daly City.
Route 36 
Route 36 from Route 5 at Red Bluff to Route 395.
Route 38 
Route 38 from Route 10 near Redlands to Route 18 near Baldwin Lake.
Route 39 
Route 39 from Route 5 to Route 210.
Route 41 
Route 41 from:
(a) Route 1 near Morro Bay to Route 101 near Atascadero.
(b) Route 46 to Route 99 near Fresno.
(c) Route 99 near Fresno to Route 180.
(d) Route 180 to Yosemite National Park.
Route 43 
Route 43 from Route 5 to Route 99 near Selma.
Route 45 
Route 45 from Route 20 near Colusa to Route 32 near Hamilton City.
Section 253.4 
253.4. The California freeway and expressway system shall also include:
Route 46 
Route 46 from Route 101 in San Luis Obispo County to Route 99 near Famoso.
Route 49 
Route 49 from:
(a) Route 41 near Oakhurst to Route 140 at Mariposa.
(b) Route 108 south of Jamestown to Route 108 near Sonora.
(c) Route 88 near Jackson to Route 50 near Placerville.
(d) Route 80 near Auburn to Route 20 in Grass Valley.
(e) Route 20 at Nevada City to Route 89 near Sattley.
(f) Route 89 near Sierraville to Route 70 near Vinton.
Route 58 
Route 58 from:
(a) Route 5 to Route 43.
(b) Route 43 to Route 99.
(c) Route 99 near Bakersfield to Route 15 near Barstow.
Route 62 
Route 62 from Route 10 near Whitewater to Route 247 near Yucca Valley.
Route 76 
Route 76 from Route 5 near Oceanside to Route 15.
Route 77 
Route 77 from Route 93 westerly of Moraga to Route 24 near Lafayette.
Section 253.5 
253.5. The California freeway and expressway system also includes:
Route 79 
Route 79 from:
(a) Route 8 near Descanso to Route 78.
(b) Route 371 near Aguanga to Route 15 near Temecula.
(c) Route 15 near Temecula to Route 74 near Hemet.
(d) Route 74 near Hemet to Route 10 near Beaumont.
Route 84 
Route 84 from:
(a) The westerly approach to the Dumbarton Bridge to Route 880.
(b) Route 880 to Route 238.
(c) Route 680 near Scotts Corners to Route 580 in Livermore.
(d) Route 580 in Livermore to Route 4 near Brentwood.
(e) Route 12 at Rio Vista to Route 50 near Broderick.
Route 86 
Route 86 from Route 78 near Brawley to Route 10 in Indio.
Route 91 
Route 91 from Route 405 to Route 215 near Riverside.
Route 92 
Route 92 from:
(a) Route 1 near Half Moon Bay to Route 280.
(b) Route 280 to Route 238.
Route 94 
Route 94 from Route 5 near San Diego to 0.3 miles east of Sweetwater Bridge.
Route 95 
Route 95 from Route 10 near Blythe to Route 40 near Needles.
Route 99 
Route 99 from:
(a) Route 5 south of Bakersfield to Route 50 in Sacramento.
(b) Route 5 in Sacramento to Route 36 near Red Bluff.
Route 101 
Route 101 from:
(a) Route 5 near Seventh Street in Los Angeles to near Fell Street in San Francisco.
(b) A point in Marin County opposite San Francisco to the Oregon state line north of Crescent City.
Route 110 
Route 110 from Route 47 to Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.
Section 253.6 
253.6. The California freeway and expressway system shall also include:
Route 111 
Route 111 from:
(a) The international boundary south of Calexico to Route 78 near Brawley passing east of Heber.
(b) Route 78 near Brawley to Route 86 near Mecca via the north shore of the Salton Sea.
(c) San Rafael Drive in Palm Springs to Route 10 near Whitewater.
Route 113 
Route 113 from Route 80 near Davis to Route 99 near Tudor.
Route 116 
Route 116 from:
(a) Route 181 near Forestville to Route 101 near Cotati.
(b) Route 101 near Petaluma to Route 121 near Schellville.
Route 120 
Route 120 from:
(a) Route 5 near Mossdale to the west boundary of Yosemite National Park.
(b) The east boundary of Yosemite National Park to Route 395 near Mono Lake.
Route 127 
Route 127 from Route 15 near Baker to Route 190 near Death Valley Junction.
Route 128 
Route 128 from:
(a) The mouth of the Navarro River to Route 101 near Cloverdale.
(b) Route 101 to Route 29 at Calistoga.
(c) Route 121 to Route 113 near Davis.
Route 132 
Route 132 from:
(a) Route 580 west of Vernalis to Route 99 at Modesto.
(b) Route 99 to Route 65.
Section 253.7 
253.7. The California freeway and expressway system shall also include:
Route 133 
Route 133 from Route 73 to Route 241.
Route 137 
Route 137 from Route 99 near Tulare to Route 65 near Lindsay.
Route 138 
Route 138 from Route 5 near Gorman to Route 15 near Cajon Pass.
Route 142 
Route 142 from Route 71 near Chino to Route 210 near Upland.
Route 152 
Route 152 from Route 101 to Route 65 near Sharon via Pacheco Pass.
Route 160 
Route 160 from:
(a) Route 4 near Antioch to Route 12 near Rio Vista.
(b) Sacramento to Route 51.
Route 166 
Route 166 from:
(a) Route 101 near Santa Maria to Route 33 in Cuyama Valley.
(b) Route 33 near Maricopa to Route 5.
Route 168 
Route 168 from Fresno to Huntington Lake.
Route 170 
Route 170 from:
(a) Los Angeles International Airport to Route 90.
(b) Route 101 near Riverside Drive to Route 5 near Tujunga Wash.
Route 178 
Route 178 from:
(a) Bakersfield to Route 14 near Freeman.
(b) Route 14 near Freeman to the vicinity of the San Bernardino county line.
Route 180 
Route 180 from:
(a) Route 25 near Paicines to Route 5.
(b) Route 5 to Route 99 passing near Mendota.
(c) Route 99 near Fresno to General Grant Grove section of Kings Canyon National Park.
Route 190 
Route 190 from Route 136 near Keeler to Route 127 near Death Valley Junction.
Route 193 
Route 193 from Route 65 near Lincoln to Route 80 near Newcastle.
Route 198 
Route 198 from Route 5 near Oilfields to the Sequoia National Park line.
Section 253.8 
253.8. The California freeway and expressway system shall also include:
Route 227 
Route 227 from Route 1 south of Oceano to Route 101 near Arroyo Grande.
Route 244 
Route 244 from Route 80 to Auburn Boulevard.
Route 299 
Route 299 from Route 101 near Arcata to Route 395 at Alturas.
Route 395 
Route 395 from:
(a) Route 15 near Cajon Pass to the Nevada state line.
(b) Nevada state line northwest of Reno to Route 36 near Johnstonville.
(c) Route 36 near Termo to the Oregon state line.
Route 905 
Route 905 from Route 5 near the south end of San Diego Bay to the international boundary southerly of Brown Field.
Section 254 
254. As specific locations are determined by the commission for portions of state highways included in the California freeway and expressway system, the commission shall designate the particular portion as a part of the California freeway and expressway system and the planning and design of such highways shall include provision for such access control as the department and the commission determine essential to protect the investment of any improvements made and to permit the ultimate development of a full freeway or an expressway when traffic and other conditions require. Such declaration by the commission shall have the effect of declaring the particular portion affected a freeway within the meaning of Section 100.2.
Section 255 
255. Nothing contained in this article shall prevent the department, either by acquisition or by condemnation, from terminating easements of access to any state highway not in the California Freeway and Expressway System, provided that such action by the department shall not have the effect of including the highway in the California Freeway and Expressway System.
Section 256.1 
256.1. Prior to recommending to the Legislature the deletion of a highway, or a portion thereof, from the state highway system, the commission or the department shall hold a public hearing on, and shall give written notices to the legislative bodies of the cities and counties located in the affected area of, the proposed recommendation, and shall publish notice of the public hearing in a newspaper of general circulation in the areas affected by the proposed deletion. The commission or the department may, at its own option, because of controversy or lack of local consensus, hold the hearing at a location which is reasonably convenient to the communities affected by the proposed deletion, to the general public, and to the commission or the department in the discharge of its regular business.
Section 257 
257. For the purpose of this article only, and to distinguish between the terms "freeway" and "expressway," the word "freeway" shall mean a divided arterial highway for through traffic with full control of access and with grade separations at intersections, while the word "expressway" shall mean an arterial highway for through traffic which may have partial control of access, but which may or may not be divided or have grade separations at intersections.