Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Abbey of Miridite
|←Giovanni Pico della Mirandola||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 10
Abbey of Miridite
(MIRIDITARUM, or SANCTI ALEXANDRI DE OROSHI).
The name of an abbatia nullius in Albania, where there formerly stood a Benedictine abbey, now destroyed, dedicated to St. Alexander, martyr. By decree of 25 October, 1888, this abbey with its two affiliated parishes, together with five other parishes in the Diocese of Ljes (Alessio, or Alise) were removed from the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ljes. In 1890 three parishes from the Diocese of Sappa were added, and in 1894 five from Ljes. The country forms part of the Turkish dominions in Europe and is inhabited by Mohammedans, Greek Schismatics, and Catholics. The Catholics number 16,550 and are under the care of secular and regular clergy. The abbot is chosen from among the secular clergy. The present abbot, Mgr. Primus Docchi, who resides at Oroshi was born at Bulgri, 7 Feb., 1846, and studied at the Propaganda College, Rome. The Franciscans have a parish and a hospital at Gomsice.
ROUKIS, Ethnographische und statistische Mittheilungen uber Albanien in PETERMANN'S Mittheilungen (1884), 367 sqq.; Missiones Catholicae; MIHACEVIC, Serafinski Perivoj, XXIII (Livno-Sarajevo, 1909), 126.
A. L. Gancević