Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Brothers of Our Lady of Mercy
|←Geronimo Mercuriali||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 10
Brothers of Our Lady of Mercy
|Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy→|
Founded at Mechlin in 1839 by Canon J. B. Cornelius Scheppers for the instruction and care of prisoners and of the sick. They were invited to S. Balbina in Perugia by Cardinal Pecci, afterwards Leo XIII, who had witnessed their work while he was nuncio at Brussels. It was at his instance that Pius IX confirmed the institution of the brothers in 1854. In 1855 Cardinal Manning invited them to London, where they have undertaken the care of the prisoners in Catholic reformatories and are also occupied with the education of the children of the poor. They are under simple vows and the term of the novitiate is one year. They wear a black habit and scapular with a brown cross on the breast.
Blanche M. Kelly.