Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Diano
Diocese and small city in the province of Salerno, Italy; the ancient Tegianum and seat of the Tegyani, a tribe of Lucania. Pius IX established this see 29 Sept., 1850, at the instance of King Ferdinand II of Naples, and ordered the Bishop of Capaccio to fix his residence in the town of Diano; thenceforth the see was to be known as Capaccio and Diano. But under the second bishop Domenico Fanello (1858-83), Capaccio was again separated from Diano and united with the Diocese of Vallo, in which town the bishop now resides. In 1882 Diano received the name of Teggiano. The see is a suffragan of Salerno, has 44 parishes, about 250 secular priests, 3 religious houses of men and one of women; the population is about 100,000.
Annuario Eccl. (Rome, 1908).