Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Diocese of Tricarico
|←Jewish Tribe||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 15
Diocese of Tricarico
|Charles Joseph Tricassin→|
Located in the Province of Potenza in the Basilicata (Southern Italy), near the River Perrola. In 1694 it was almost destroyed by earthquake. The cathedral was erected in 968 by Polyeuctos, Patriarch of Constantinople. The names of the bishops, then of the Greek Rite, are not known. Of the Latin bishops after the Norman conquest the first was Arnoldo (1068); others were: the theologians Palmerio di Gallusio (1253) and Fra Nicolo; Cardinal Pier Luigi Caraffa (1624), who restored the cathedral and founded the seminary. From 1805 to 1819 the see remained vacant. The diocese is suffragan of the metropolitan See of Acerenza and Matera; it has 25 parishes, 80,540 souls, 180 secular and regular clergy, one educational institution for boys and one for girls.
Cappelletti, Le Chiese d'Italia, XX, 481.