Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Irenopolis
A titular see of Isauria, suffragan of Seleucia. Five of its bishops are known: John (325), Menodorus (451), Paul (458), George (692), Euschemon (878). The city is mentioned by Hierocles in the sixth century and George of Cyprus in the seventh. It figures in the "Notitia Episcopatuum" of Anastasius, Patriarch of Antioch in the sixth century, and in the "Nova Tactica" of the tenth century, as attached to the Patriarchate of Constantinople. At this period the Byzantine emperors had taken the province of Isauria from the Patriarchate of Antioch. Ramsay ("Asia Minor," London, 1890, p. 365), following Sterrett, identifies Irenopolis of Isauria with Irnebol, of which he does not indicate the exact situation. Coins found bearing the name Irenopolis belong rather to a city of the same name located in Cilicia, the ancient Neronias, some of whose bishops are also known.
LE QUIEN, Oriens Christianus, II, 897-900, 1029 sq.