Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Macri

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search

Macri (or Macras?), a titular see in Mauretania Sitifiensis. This town figures only in the "Notitia Africæ" and the "Itinerarium Antonini". It flourished for a long period, and Arabian authors often mention it in eulogistic terms. It was situated on the Oued-Magra which still bears its name, near the Djebel Magra, in the plain of Bou Megueur, south-west of Setif (Algeria). In 411 Macri had a Donatist bishop, Maximus, who attended the Carthage Conference. In 479 Huneric banished a great many Catholics from this town and from many other regions of the desert. In 484 Emeritus, Bishop of Macri, was one of the members present at the Carthage Assembly; like the others, he was banished by Huneric.

Toulotte, Géographie de l'Afrique chrétienne: Mauretanie (Montreuil-sur-mer, 1894). p. 212.

S. Pétridès.