Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Pietro Francesco Mazzuchelli
|←Sylvester Mazzolini||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 10
Pietro Francesco Mazzuchelli
(Also known as IL MORAZZONE, MARAZZONE, and MORANZONE).
Milanese painter, b. at Moranzone near Milan, either in 1571 or 1575; d. at Piacenza in 1626. In the early part of his life, this painter resided in Rome, where he painted various altar-pieces, then he passed on to Venice, and made a profound study of the work of Titian, Tintoretto, and Paolo Veronese, so enterely altering his and improving his scheme of colour, that the pictures he painted when he came to Milan, although representing subjects similar to those he had carried out in Rome, could hardly be recognized as having come from the same hand. He was patronized by Cardinal Borommeo, and from the Duke of Savoy received the honour of knighthood and the order of St. Maurice. In 1626 he was called to Piacenza to paint the cupola of the cathedral, but was not able to finish this work, which he commenced in a grand and vigorous style, and died, it is believed, from an accident in connection with the scaffolding, in consequence of which Guercino was called in to complete the work. The chief painting by Mazzuchelli is that in the church of San Giovanni at Como, and represents St. Michael and the angels.
VASARI, G., Le Vite dei Pittori (Florence, 1878, 1885); ORLANDI, P. P., Abbecedario Pittorico (Bologna, 1719), also the Oretti, MS. (Bologna).
GEORGE CHARLES WILLIAMSON