Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Uthina
A titular see of Africa Proconsularis, suffragan of Carthage. Uthina is mentioned by Ptolemy (IV, 3, 34), Pliny (V, 4), and the Peutinger Tables. Pliny and an inscription call it a colony. From the accounts given by geographers the site seems to be the ruins known as Henshir Oudna, near a station on the railway from Tunis to Kef, Tunisia. These ruins occupy a surface nearly three miles in circumference, covering a hilly plateau, and commanding the left bank of the Milian wâdys; there are the remains of a fortress, cisterns, an aqueduct, triumphal arch, theatre, amphitheatre, basilica with a circular crypt, bridge, etc. Many beautiful mosaics are to be found there. Uthina had a bishop in the time of Tertullian by whom he was severely criticized (De Monogamia, xii). Five others are known: Felix, present at the Council of Carthage (256); Lampadius, at the Council of Arles in Gaul (314); Isaac, at the Conference of Carthage (411), where he had as rival the Donatist, Felicianus; Gallonius, at the Council of Carthage (419); and Quietus at that of 525.
GUERIN, Voyage archeologique dans la regence de Tunis, II (Paris, 1862), 283; TOULOTTE, Geogr. de l'Afrique Chretiene proconsulaire (Paris, 1892), 316-18.