Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)/Vicariate Apostolic of Southern Shen-si
|←Vicariate Apostolic of Northern Shen-si||Catholic Encyclopedia (1913), Volume 13
Vicariate Apostolic of Southern Shen-si
The southern part of Shen-si was entrusted in 1885 to the Seminary of Sts. Peter and Paul, established at Rome by Pius IX, 1874. In 1887 this section was erected as a vicariate Apostolic including two civil prefectures, Han-chung and Singan. The climate is damp and changeable. There are about 5,000,000 inhabitants. The present vicar Apostolic is the Right Rev. Mgr. Pio Giuseppe Passerini, titular Bishop of Achantus (b. 7 January 1866; consecrated in 1895). He resides at Tcheng-kow. In 1885 the mission numbered: 2 European missionaries, 3 native priests, 32 churches, 2 chapels, 7700 Catholics, 100 catechumens, 2 schools for boys, 4 schools for girls, 1 seminary, with 9 students. In 1910 there were: 16 European priests, 2 native priests, 50 churches, 23 chapels, 11,489 Catholics, 6305 catechumens, 19 schools for boys, 17 schools for girls, 1 seminary, with 20 students, 1 orphanage for boys, with 74 inmates, 1 orphanage for girls, with 350 inmates. Missiones Catholicæ (Rome, 1907).
V. H. Montanar.