The Federal Register compilation provides a uniform system for making available to the public regulations and legal notices issued by Federal agencies of the United States Government. These include Presidential proclamations and Executive Orders, Federal agency documents having general applicability and legal effect, documents required to be published by act of Congress, and other Federal agency documents of public interest.
Created in 1935, the Federal Register (ISSN 0097–6326) is published daily, Monday through Friday, except official holidays, by the Office of the Federal Register, National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, DC 20408, under the Federal Register Act (44 U.S.C. Ch. 15), as amended by, among others, the Administrative Procedure Act of 1946 and the regulations of the Administrative Committee of the Federal Register (1 CFR Ch. I). The Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC 20402 is the exclusive distributor of the official edition.
- How To Cite This Publication
While sometimes abbreviated Fed. Reg., or sometimes FR, the recommended citation is to use the volume number and the page number. Example: 74 FR 12345.
| Title 3 Comp.|
Brief explanation: one of the volumes in a series that began with Proclamation 2161 of March 19, 1936, and Executive Order 7316 of March 13, 1936, and that has been continued by means of annual compilations and periodic cumulations.
Chapter I contains regulations issued by the Executive Office of the President. This section is a true codification like other CFR volumes, in that its contents are organized by subject or regulatory area and are updated by individual issues of the Federal Register.
- Supplementary publications include
- Presidential documents of the Hoover Administration (two volumes),
- Proclamations 1870-2037 and
- Executive Orders 5076-6070;
- Consolidated Indexes for 1936-1965; and
- Consolidated Tables for 1936-1965.
Presidential documents found in the latest volume may be cited “3 CFR, 2008 Comp.” Thus, the preferred abbreviated citation for Proclamation 8215 appearing on page 1 of the 2008 Compilation, is
- “3 CFR, 2008 Comp., p. 1.”
Chapter I entries may be cited “3 CFR.” Thus, the preferred abbreviated citation for section 100.1, appearing in chapter I of the latest volume, is
- “3 CFR 100.1.”
- Federal Register, hosted by the official U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
- Federal Register (FR): Main Page, hosted by the U.S. Government Printing Office
- GPO's Federal Digital System (FDsys) - Bulk Data, Download multiple issues of the Federal Register or latest Code of Federal Regulations in XML.
- TheFederalRegister.com, a searchable third-party database
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it is a work of the United States federal government (see 17 U.S.C. 105).|