|Hilda Wade, a Woman with Tenacity of Purpose (1900)
In putting before the public the last work by Mr. Grant Allen, the publishers desire to express their deep regret at the author's unexpected and lamented death--a regret in which they are sure to be joined by the many thousand readers whom he did so much to entertain. A man of curiously varied and comprehensive knowledge, and with the most charming personality; a writer who, treating of a wide variety of subjects, touched nothing which he did not make distinctive, he filled a place which no man living can exactly occupy. The last chapter of this volume had been roughly sketched by Mr. Allen before his final illness, and his anxiety, when debarred from work, to see it finished, was relieved by the considerate kindness of his friend and neighbour, Dr. Conan Doyle, who, hearing of his trouble, talked it over with him, gathered his ideas, and finally wrote it out for him in the form in which it now appears--a beautiful and pathetic act of friendship which it is a pleasure to record.
- Chapter I: The Episode of the Patient Who Disappointed Her Doctor
- Chapter II: The Episode of the Gentleman Who Had Failed for Everything
- Chapter III: The Episode of the Wife Who Did Her Duty
- Chapter IV: The Episode of the Man Who Would Not Commit Suicide
- Chapter V: The Episode of the Needle That Did Not Match
- Chapter VI: The Episode of the Letter with the Basingstoke Postmark
- Chapter VII: The Episode of the Stone That Looked About It
- Chapter VIII: The Episode of the European with the Kaffir Heart
- Chapter IX: The Episode of the Lady Who Was Very Exclusive
- Chapter X: The Episode of the Guide Who Knew the Country
- Chapter XI: The Episode of the Officer Who Understood Perfectly
- Chapter XII: The Episode of the Dead Man Who Spoke
|This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published before January 1, 1923.
The author died in 1930, so this work is also in the public domain in countries and areas where the copyright term is the author's life plus 80 years or less. This work may also be in the public domain in countries and areas with longer native copyright terms that apply the rule of the shorter term to foreign works.