Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008/Division B/Title IV
|←TItle III||Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008
Division B: Foreclosure Prevention Act of 2008
Title IV—HOUSING COUNSELING RESOURCES
TITLE IV—HOUSING COUNSELING RESOURCES
SEC. 2401. HOUSING COUNSELING RESOURCES.
- There are appropriated out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated for the fiscal year 2008, for an additional amount for the "Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation—Payment to the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation" $100,000,000, to remain available until December 31, 2008, for foreclosure mitigation activities under the terms and conditions contained in the second undesignated paragraph (beginning with the phrase "For an additional amount") under the heading "Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation—Payment to the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation" of Public Law 110-161.
SEC. 2402. CREDIT COUNSELING.
- (a) In General.—Entities approved by the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation or the Secretary and State housing finance entities receiving funds under this title shall work to identify and coordinate with non-profit organizations operating national or statewide toll-free foreclosure prevention hotlines, including those that—
- (1) serve as a consumer referral source and data repository for borrowers experiencing some form of delinquency or foreclosure;
- (2) connect callers with local housing counseling agencies approved by the Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation or the Secretary to assist with working out a positive resolution to their mortgage delinquency or foreclosure; or
- (3) facilitate or offer free assistance to help homeowners to understand their options, negotiate solutions, and find the best resolution for their particular circumstances.