Men of the Time, eleventh edition/Aitchison, George
AITCHISON, George, A.R.A., architect, was born Nov. 7, 1825, at 52, Edgeware Road, London, and educated at Merchant Taylors' School and University College, London. He graduated B.A. at the London University in 1850, having previously been appointed a student at the Royal Academy in 1847. From 1853 to 1855 he travelled in France and Italy. He was elected a member of the Royal Institute of British Artists in 1862, and afterwards became a member of the Council. He was appointed examiner for the Voluntary Architectural examination, and also examiner for the National Art Prizes at South Kensington. Mr. Aitchison gained medals at the Philadelphia, Sydney and Melbourne Exhibitions; was made an officer of Public Instruction by the French Government in 1879; and on June 2, 1881, was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy in the place of the late William Burges. He gave lectures on Architecture at the Royal Academy in 1882. Mr. Aitchison has built large warehouses for the London and St. Katherine Dock Co.'s offices, Mark Lane, Mincing Lane; workmen's restaurants in the Borough and Whitechapel; schools at Farley and Knoyle; houses for Lord R. Grosvenor at Stalbridge; for Sir F. Leighton, P.R.A. at Kensington, and for Mr. J. Stewart Hodgson; a studio for Mr. P. H. Calderon, R.A.; a picture gallery for Mr. G. F. Watts, R.A.; and a Board room with furniture for the Thames Conservancy. He has also altered and decorated houses for Mr. P. Wyndham, M. P., the Duke of Montrose, the Princess Louise, Mr. F. Lehman, Mr. T. Eustace Smith, Mr. John Aird, and the Arab Hall for Sir F. Leighton. He likewise designed the fittings and furniture for the British Art section of the Paris Exhibition.