My God! how perfect are thy ways!
JEHOVAH our righteousness by William Cowper
- My God! how perfect are thy ways!
- But mine polluted are;
- Sin twines itself about my praise,
- And slides into my prayer.
- When I would speak what thou hast done
- To save me from my sin;
- I cannot make thy mercies known
- But self-applause creeps in.
- Divine desire, that holy flame
- Thy grace creates in me;
- Alas! impatience is its name,
- When it returns to thee.
- This heart, a fountain of vile thoughts,
- How does it overflow?
- While self upon the surface floats
- Still bubbling from below.
- Let others in the gaudy dress
- Of fancied merit shine;
- The LORD shall be my righteousness
- The LORD for ever mine.