Page:A History of the University of Chicago by Thomas Wakefield Goodspeed.djvu/38

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
14
A HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO

University. They declined and reaffirmed their choice of him. He then prevailed on them to offer the presidency to Dr. Francis Wayland who had recently retired from that position in Brown University. In the meantime Dr. Burroughs accepted the position of vice-president. Dr. Wayland, however, declined, and on July 22, 1859, Dr. Burroughs was again elected president and consented to serve.

On July 15, 1858, the trustees voted to resume work on the building, but to erect the south wing only. Work proceeded so rapidly that the building, afterward known as Jones Hall, in recognition of the generous interest of William Jones in the University, was completed in February, 1859. So uncollectible, however, were the subscriptions, that, although the south wing cost only thirty thousand dollars, in order to pay for its construction the trustees felt compelled to borrow twenty-five thousand dollars, and to do this it was necessary to mortgage the site. This was done with the full consent of Mr. Douglas.

The institution opened its doors to students in the autumn of / 1858 in St. Paul's Universalist Church which then stood on the corner of Wabash Avenue and Van Buren Street. In addition to Dr. Burroughs there were two professors, LeRoy Satterlee and A. H. Mixer, the latter of whom, an accomplished scholar and an inspiring teacher, remained with the University for eight years. There was a small Freshman class and a preparatory department. Soon after the completion of Jones Hall the work of instruction was transferred to its lecture-rooms and the students began to occupy the spacious and well-furnished dormitory rooms. The building was dedicated July 21, 1859, Senator James R. Doolittle of Wisconsin delivering the dedicatory address. On September 19, 1859, the new University opened its first full year in the new building with Sophomore and Freshman classes and a preparatory department. In the autumn of 1859 a School of Law was established under the presidency of Henry Booth, assisted by Hon. John M. Wilson and Judge Grant Goodrich. From this time forward the educational work of the University was carried on with wisdom and success. The professors were superior teachers, some of them of wide reputation. The foremost citizens of Chicago were mem-