This page has been validated.
[ 271 ]
Quitting this ruin by the abbey-walk, we returned into the artificial grounds on the opposite side of the river Shell, with a fine mass of wood to the right, and a wall of shrubby rock on the left; presently ascending a rugged pathway to the higher walk, where a pleasing back view is afforded of the upper part of the abbey tower, its roots hidden by trees. We now enter upon the upper sandy-walk, and soon get another peep at our old acquaintance, Hercules and Antæus, the parallellogrammic canal, and the opposite bank of wood, with its buildings, the rotunda and Gothic tower; a picture again presented to us under a different combination, from the alcove above the sweep, with the addition of the Temple of Piety, prettily seen above the trees. The ladies' hill walk re-receives us from the alcove, appropriately ornamented with little plats of grass, and parterres of flowers; but not so delicately terminated by the walk of Priapus, a figure of which god occurs in the point where the two paths unite. The latter affords a peep at a very pleasing feature of country, a deep glen, called Kendal walk; dark and solemn,
and various other buildings in this noble abbey, which was founded in 1132 for Cistertian monks, and enjoyed a yearly revenue at the Dissolution of 1073l. 0s. 7½d.