This page needs to be proofread.
Constitution of Legislature.
- 13. The Legislature of the State shall consist of the Yang di-Pertua Negara and one House, to be known as the Legislative Assembly.
Composition of Legislative Assembly.
- 14. (1) The Legislative Assembly shall consist of—
- (a) the Speaker ;
- (b) three ex officio members, namely, the State Secretary, theState Attorney-General and the State Financial Secretary;
- (c) such number of elected members as the Legislature may by law prescribe, elected in such manner as may be provided by Federal or State law ;
- (d) such number of other members (hereinafter referred to as "nominated members"), not being more than six, as the Yang di-Pertua Negara may appoint.
- (2) Until the Legislature otherwise prescribes the number of elected members shall be eighteen.
- 15. (1) The Speaker shall be appointed by the Yang di-Pertua Negara from among persons not subject to any of the disqualifications for appointment as nominated members of the Legislative Assembly set out in Article 17.
- (2) The Speaker shall hold office for such period as may be specified in the instrument by which he is appointed, shall vacate his office—
- (a) if he resigns it by writing under his hand addressed to the Yang di-Pertua Negara ; or
- (b) if he becomes subject to any of the disqualifications for appointment as a nominated member of the Legislative Assembly set out in Article 17.
- (3) Any question whether a person is qualified to be appointed as Speaker shall be determined by the Yang di-Pertua Negara whose decision shall be final.
- (4) During any absence of the Speaker from a sitting of the Legislative Assembly or any vacancy in the office of Speaker such member of the Assembly as may be determined by the Standing Orders of the Assembly shall act as Speaker.
- (5) The Legislature shall by law provide for the remuneration of the Speaker, and the remuneration so provided shall be a charge on and paid out of the Consolidated Fund, and shall not be diminished as respects any holder of the office of Speaker after his appointment.
Qualifications of members.
- 16. Every citizen of or over the age of twenty-one years who is resident in the State is qualified to be elected as an elected member or appointed as a nominated member of the Legislative Assembly, unless he is disqualified for being a member by the Federal Constitution or this Constitution or by any such law as is mentioned in Article 17.