in the 'St. Bartholomew's Hospital Reports' (vol. xxii.); and in 1885 'Marvodia,' a genealogical account of the Marwoods, a Devonshire family; and wrote several essays on medical subjects in the 'Lancet.' He was elected physician to the Smallpox Hospital in February 1853, and held office there for forty years. When Prince Arthur (afterwards duke of Connaught) had smallpox at Greenwich in October 1867 he was called in consultation. He long resided at 40 Finsbury Square, London, enjoyed a considerable practice, and there died on 20 Dec. 1898. He was of short stature. His portrait, by the Hon. John Collier, hangs in the dining-room of the Royal College of Physicians, to which, in the last year of his life, it was presented by the fellows in memory of the great service which he had rendered to the college by the publication of the 'Roll.' He became a Roman catholic in 1842, and from 1857 to 1865 was the medical adviser of Cardinal Wiseman. He had much information, and readily imparted it in aid of the studies of others. He admired the College of Physicians, but late in life was inclined to think that in it, and in the world at large, past times were the best. He was for many years an active member of the committee of the London Library. He married, 30 April 1849, Emma, eighteenth child of John Luke of Exeter, and left two sons and three daughters.
[Lancet. 1898, vol. ii.; British Medleal Journal, 1898, vol. ii.; Works; personal knowledge: private information.]
MURPHY, DENIS (1833–1896), historical writer, was born at Newmarket, co. Cork, in 1833. Having been trained in various Jesuit colleges of England, Germany, and Spain, he was admitted to the Society of Jesus as a novitiate in his sixteenth year. He became an active and devoted missionary priest, but soon began to devote his chief attention to teaching and historical research. He was professor of history and literature at the Jesuit colleges of Clongowes Wood, Limerick, and finally at University College, Dublin. His best known work, published at Dublin in 1883, was 'Cromwell in Ireland,' an excellent account of the suppression of the catholic rebellion of 1648-9, which gives evidence of great research, and is destitute of sectarian prejudice. The text is accompanied with good maps, plans, and illustrations. A new edition appeared in 1885. Another important historical work was his edition of O'Clery's 'Life of Hugh Roe O'Donnell,' 1893, 4to, which he was the first to render into English. The parallel bilingual text is preceded by an historical introduction. Murphy also published 'The Annals of Clonmacnoise' (1896) and a 'History of Holy Cross Abbey.' He edited for many years the 'Kildare Archæological Journal,' to which he contributed some valuable papers, and was connected with similar publications in Cork, Waterford, and Belfast. His last published work was 'A School History of Ireland' (in T. A. Findlay's School and College Series), issued in 1894, which is remarkable for containing a eulogy of Charles Stewart Parnell. Just before his death he was at work upon 'The Martyrs of Ireland,' an account of Roman catholics who had been put to death since the time of Henry VIII, a compilation suggested to him by the Irish bishops. Murphy received the honorary degree of LL.D. from the royal university of Ireland in recognition of his historical writings. He was vice-president of the Royal Irish Academy and a member of the council of the Royal Society of Antiquaries in Ireland. He was found dead in his bed, on the morning of 18 May 1896, in his rooms at University College, St. Stephen's Green, Dublin, and was buried in Glasnevin cemetery on 20 May.
[The Irish Catholic, 23 May 1896; Tablet, 23 May 1896; Times, 25 May; Brit. Mus. Cat.; Allibone's Dict. Engl. Lit. (Suppl.)]
MURRAY, Sir CHARLES AUGUSTUS (1806–1895), diplomatist and author, second son of George Murray, fifth earl of Dunmore (1762–1836), and Lady Susan Hamilton, daughter of Archibald, ninth, duke of Hamilton, was born on 22 Nov. 1806. He was educated at Eton and Oriel College, Oxford, where he matriculated on 21 May 1824, and graduated B.A. and was elected to a fellowship of All Souls' in 1827; he proceeded M.A. in 1832. While an undergraduate Murray had John Henry (afterwards cardinal) Newman [q. v.] as his tutor. 'He never inspired me,' wrote Murray, 'or my fellow-undergraduates with any interest, much less respect ; on the contrary, we disliked, or rather distrusted, him. He walked with his head bent, abstracted, but every now and then looking out of the corners of his eyes quickly, as though suspicious. He had no influence then ; it was only when he became vicar of St. Mary's that the long dormant power asserted itself, and his sermons attracted hundreds.' Murray's chief undergraduate friend was Sidney Herbert (afterwards Baron Herbert of Lea) [q. v.], but it was in company with Lord Edward Thynne, son of the second Marquis of Bath, that Murray, who was a