Page:Dictionary of National Biography. Sup. Vol II (1901).djvu/142

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been validated.
Denman
Denton
130

found relaxation in study of the Greek and Latin classics.

He died at Cranley Gardens, London, S.W., on 21 Sept. 1896, and was buried in the churchyard at Willian, near Hitchin. A brass with an inscription by Dr. Sandys was placed in the chapel of Repton school to his memory, and a memorial scholarship founded at the same school by public subscription. He married, 19 Feb. 1852, Charlotte, daughter of Samuel Hope, banker, of Liverpool, by whom he left seven children; his eldest son, Mr. G. L. Denman, is a metropolitan police magistrate.

A portrait of Denman by H. T. Wells, R.A., in oils, is in the possession of his son, Mr. G. L. Denman; of this there is a photo-gravure print. Another portrait by Samuel Carter hangs in the library at Repton school. A sketch by Wells and a miniature in childhood by F. Corbauld are in the possession of his younger son, Mr. Arthur Denman.

Denman published in 1871 a translation of Gray's 'Elegy' in Greek elegiac verse, which he dedicated to Sir Alexander Cockburn, the lord chief justice, and in 1873 the first book of Pope's translation of the 'Iliad' in Latin elegiacs, which he dedicated to W. E. Gladstone; in 1896 he printed for private circulation a translation of 'Prometheus Bound' in English verse. He wrote the Latin epitaph in the vestibule of Lincoln's Inn chapel to the memory of Lord-justice Bowen. 'Intervalla,' a selection of his verses in Greek, Latin, and English, was published for private circulation in 1898.

[Times, 22 Sept. 1896; Cambridge Review, 1896. notice written by J. E. Sandys; autobiographical notes of George Denman, 1819-47, printed for private circulation 1897; Hansard, Parl. Debates; information kindly afforded by Mr. George Denman and Mr. Arthar Denman, F.S.A.]

W. C.-r.

DENMAN, THOMAS, second Baron Denman of Dovedale (1805–1899), born in London on 30 July 1805, was the first son of Thomas Denman, first Baron Denman [q. v.], by his wife Theodosia Anne, eldest daughter of Richard Vevers, rector of Kettering. George Denman [q. v. Suppl.] was his brother. He was educated at Eton and Brasenose College, Oxford. He matriculated on 17 May 1823. He was called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1838, and acted as associate to his father when chief-justice of England, holding this position for eighteen years.

He succeeded to the peerage on the death of his father on 22 Sept. 1854. Denman was always concerned rather with politics than law. During his long life as a peer he was a regular frequenter of the House of Lords, but won notoriety rather from his eccentricities than any eminent qualifications. Limitation of the duration of speeches in the House of Lords and the granting of female suffrage were subjects to which he unsuccessfully devoted his support. Year after year with unfailing regularity, from 1886 to 1894, he brought in bills to secure these objects, and, despite his inability on any occasion to secure even a second reading, he was not deterred from making fresh efforts in each succeeding year. He died without issue at the King's Arms, Berwick-on-Tweed, on 9 Aug. 1899.

Denman married, on 12 Aug. 1829, Georgina, eldest daughter of Thomas Roe; she died on 25 April 1871. He married, secondly, on 10 Oct. 1871, Maria, eldest daughter of James Aitchison of Alderston, co. Haddington, and by royal licence on 20 Dec. 1879 assumed the additional surname of Aitchison under the will of his wife's mother. There is a lithograph portrait print of Lord Denman by Walton.

[Complete Peerage by G. E. C[okayne]; Hansard's Debates; Times, 11 Aug. 1899.]

W. C.-r.

DENTON, WILLIAM (1815–1888), divine and author, born in March 1815 at Newport in the Isle of Wight, was the eldest son of James Denton of that town. He matriculated from Worcester College, Oxford, on 28 May 1841, graduating B.A. in 1844 and M.A. in 1848. In 1844 he was ordained deacon as curate of St. Andrew's, Bradfield, in Berkshire, and priest in 1845 as curate of Barking. In 1847 he became curate of Shoreditch, and in 1850 he was presented to the vicarage of St. Bartholomew, Cripplegate, which he retained till his death. In 1861 he published a pamphlet entitled 'Observations on the Displacement of the Poor by Metropolitan Railways and by other Public Improvements' (London, 8vo), which attracted some attention. On 28 Feb. the Earl of Derby presented a petition from Denton to the House of Lords, and the question was the subject of debate for two nights. Another publication, 'The Christians in Turkey' (London, 1863, 8vo), in which he maintained that the English diplomatic agents in the Levant had long been engaged in a conspiracy of silence in regard to the wrongs of the rayah, attracted little attention at the time of issue; but in 1876, when the 'Bulgarian atrocities' stimulated popular interest, the original edition was speedily exhausted, and a new and enlarged edition appeared. A third edition was reached in 1877, and was trans-