of Deeping, Lincolnshire. He was born at Gosberton, Lincolnshire, on 14 Feb. 1843, and entered Merchant Taylors' School in 1853. He subsequently studied German at Bonn, with a view to the Indian civil service. After some practice as an amateur he joined Miss Herbert's company at the St. James's, appearing on 27 Feb. 1866 as Hastings in ' She Stoops to Conquer.' At the Olympic he played in 'Six Months Ago,' and was Landry Barbeau in 'The Grasshopper' (' La Petite Fadette'). On the opening of the new Queen's theatre, 24 Oct. 1867, he was the first Coluey Hatch in 'He's a Lunatic,' by Felix Dale (Mr. Herman Merivale). He played, at the Queen's, Kidgely in 'Dearer than Life,' Monks in 'Oliver Twist,' Medlicott in 'Time and the Hour,' and Gregory Danville in the ' Lancashire Lass.' At the Gaiety he was, on 27 March 1869, the Earl of Mount Forrestcotirt in Robertson's 'Dreams,' and was also Calthorpe in Mr. Gilbert's 'An Old Score,' Vaubert in the ' Life Chase,' Joe Lennard in' Uncle Dick's Darling,' and Victor Tremaine in 'Awaking.' He was seen at the Vaudeville as Joseph Surface, and Dazzle in 'London Assurance,' and at the Lyceum as Louis XIII in ' Richelieu,' and Juan de Miraflores in Mr. Hamilton Aide's 'Philip.' At the Princess's he played the brothers in the 'Corsican Brothers,' and Nigel in the 'King o' Scots.' At the Court he was Jaggers in 'Great Expectations,' Jormell in Craven's 'Coals of Fire,' and George de Chavannes in 'Lady Flora.' As Hugh Trevor in ' All for her,' produced on 18 Oct. 1875 at the Mirror, formerly the Holborn, he obtained his greatest success in serious parts. Osip in Lord Newry's version of 'Les Danischeffs' (St. James's, 6 Jan. 1877) was also a success, as was his Henry Beauclerc in 'Diplomacy' at the Prince of Wales's, where he also played George d'Alroy in ' Caste ' (January 1879). He was Robert Dudley to the Mary Stuart of Madame Modjeska, in an adaptation by Lewis Wingfield from Schiller. On 24 Sept. 1881 he opened, as Raoul de Latour in 'Honour,' the Court theatre, in the management of which he was joined by Arthur Cecil [q. v. Suppl.] Changing his line, he appeared in comic plays by Mr. Pinero and other writers. He was, 15 Feb. 1882, Chiff in the 'Manager' and Bartley Venn in 'My Little Girl,' and was seen subsequently as Charles Tracy in the 'Parvenu,' Sir George Dexter in 'Comrades,' Rev. Humphrey Sharlandin the 'Rector,' Robert Streightley in the 'Millionaire,' Lewis Long in ' Margery's Lovers,' Due de Chevreuse in 'Devotion, Sir George Carteret in the ' Opal Ring,' Colonel Lukyn in the 'Magistrate,' Admiral Ranking in the 'Schoolmistress,' and the Very Rev. Dean Jedd in 'Dandy Dick.' The piece last named was given on 27 Jan. 1887, and was the last production of the management. While touring with it Clayton died, on 27 Feb. 1888, at Canning Street, Liverpool. His remains were interred in Brompton cemetery. Clayton married a daughter of Dion Boucicault [q. v. Suppl.], who survives him. He was a good actor, both in drama and comedy, with a bluff, effective, breezy, and powerful, sometimes too powerful, style.
[Personal knowledge; Era, 3 March; Scotland Howard's Blanchard; Pascoe's Dramatic List; Robinson's Register of Merchant Taylors' School ; Era Almanack, various years ; The Theatre, various years ; Athenæum, various years.]
CLEMENT of Llanthony (d. 1190?), known also as Clement of Gloucester, theological writer, was probably a relative and possibly a brother of Miles de Gloucester, earl of Hereford [see Gloucester], who was buried at Llanthony in Gloucestershire. He was educated at Llanthony, where he subsequently became canon, sub-prior, and prior, and witnessed a charter of David, who was bishop of St. David's from 1147 to 1176. He is said to have been negligent of the affairs 'of his monastery, and to have died, probably about 1190, of a paralytic stroke. Giraldus Cambrensis (Opera, Rolls Ser. vi. 39) speaks highly of his learning, and Osbert of Clare mentions him as one of the most illustrious men of his age (Hardy, Descr. Cat. ii. 424).
To judge from the number of manuscripts of his works which have survived, Clement was one of the most popular theological writers of the middle ages. His principal work appears to have been his 'Concordia Quatuor Evangelistarum,' manuscripts of which are extant at University College, Oxford (MS. xix. 36), Trinity College, Oxford (MS. ii. 1), Merton College (MS. ccxl. 1), Jesus College (MS. xlix.), Cambridge University Library (MS. Dd. i. 17), in Brit. Mus. Royal MS. 3 A x., and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. This work is said to have been translated by Wycliffe or one of Wycliffe's followers ; and in Royal MS. 17 C. xxxiii. is 'Clement of Lantonie's Harmony of the Gospels in 12 books, Englished by John Wiclif ; ' there is another copy of the same in Royal MS. 17 D. viii., and another English version which does not claim to be by Wycliffe is in the Bodleian (MS. F. ii.) ; in Lambeth MS. 594 f. 47 is a tract claiming to be Wycliffe's 'Preface to his Version of the Evangelical Harmony of