Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 08.djvu/29

From Wikisource
Jump to: navigation, search
This page has been validated.
Bury
Bury
25

She kept a stock of bibles and practical books, to be distributed as she should see occasion (Ballard's British Ladies, p. 425); her knowledge of the materia medica was surprising (ib. 424); 'her gift in prayer was very extraordinary' (Account, 36); and 'she had a motto written up in her closet in Hebrew, "Thou, Lord, seest me," … to keep her heart from trifling.' She became infirm after 1712, and died 8 May 1720, aged 76. Mr. Bury gave the fullest testimony to his wife's deep learning and unfailing excellences. Dr. Watts described her as 'a pattern for the sex in ages yet unborn.' Her funeral sermon was preached at Bristol on 22 May 1720 by the Rev. William Tong, and was printed at Bristol the same year; a third edition was reached the next year, 1721. 'The Account of the Life and Death of Mrs. Bury,' Bristol, 1720, included the extant portions of her diary, the funeral sermon, a life by her husband, and an elegy by Dr. Watts.

[Account of the Life and Death of Mrs. Elizabeth Bury, chiefly collected out of her own Diary, with Funeral Sermon, &c., Bristol, 1720; Ballard's British Ladies, pp. 262, 321, 424 et. seq.]

J. H.

BURY, HENRY de, [See Bederic.]

BURY, JOHN (fl. 1557), translator, graduated at Cambridge B.A. 1553, and M.A. 1555; he translated from Greek into English 'Isocratis ad Demonicum oratio parenetica' or 'Admonysion to Demonicus,' with a dedication to his uncle. Sir W. Chester, 1557.

[Tanner's Bibl. Brit. 143; Ames's Typogr. Antiq. (Herbert), 358; Cooper's Athenæ Cantab. i. 174.]

W. H.

BURY, JOHN (1580–1667), divine, the son of a descendant of the Devonshire family of Bury, long resident at Colyton, who was in business at Tiverton, was born there in 1580. On 9 Feb. 1597 he was elected a scholar of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, and in 1603, shortly after he had taken his degree of B.A., he became the first fellow of Balliol College under the bequest of Peter Blundell. After remaining for several years at the university he returned to his native county, where he obtained the vicarage of Heavitree and a canonry in Exeter Cathedral, his collation to the latter preferment dating 20 March 1637. The presentment of Bury and the other prebendaries at Laud's visitation, 19 June 1634, is printed in Hist. MSS. Comm. 4th Rep. p. 138. A few years later he resigned his benefice in favour of a relation, and accepted the rectory of Widworthy in the same county. The latter preferment he retained until his death, and after the Restoration (2 March 1662) the rectory of St. Mary Major, Exeter, was conferred upon him. He died on 5 July 1667, and was buried in the 'middle area' of Exeter Cathedral, 'a little below the pulpit.' His literary works were few in number— two sermons (1615 and 1631) and a catechism for the use of his parishioners at Widworthy (1661). He endowed a school in St. Sidwell's, Exeter, left funds for the maintenance of thirteen poor persons in St. Catherine's Almshouse in the same city and for the poor of his native town of Tiverton, and largely added to the resources of the public workhouse at St. Sidwell's. Canon Bury had two sons, Arthur [q. v.], the rector of Exeter College, Oxford, and John, a colonel in the parliamentary army. Portraits of all three are in the present workhouse at Exeter.

[Prince's Worthies, 152-4; Harding's Tiverton, book iii, 276, iv. 113; Wood's Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss, iii. 777; Oliver's Exeter, 152.]

W. P. C.

BURY, RICHARD de (1281–1345), bishop of Durham, was the son of Sir Richard Aungerville, and is known as. Richard de Bury from his birthplace of Bury St. Edmunds. His father died when he was a child, leaving him to the charge of his uncle, John de Willoughby, a priest. Richard studied at Oxford, where he gained distinction as a scholar. On leaving Oxford he became a Benedictine monk at Durham. He was chosen on account of his learning to be tutor to Edward of Windsor, son of Edward II, and afterwards Edward III. He was also treasurer of Guienne on behalf of his pupil. When Queen Isabella left her husband, taking her son with her, Richard supplied her with money from the revenues of Guienne. The king sent to seize him, but he fled to Paris. Thither he was pursued and had to take sanctuary. Isabella prospered in her opposition to her husband, and the young Edward III heaped honours on his former tutor, for whom he had a great regard. Richard was made successively cofferer, treasurer of the wardrobe, archdeacon of Northampton, prebendary of Lincoln, Sarum, and Lichfield, and keeper of the privy seal. He was twice sent as ambassador to Pope John XXII, who made him a chaplain of the papal chapel and allowed him to appear attended by twenty chaplains and thirty-six knights. In 1333 he was made dean of Wells, and at the end of the same year was appointed bishop of Durham by papal provision at the king's request. This appointment was in opposition to the wishes of the monks of Durham, who had elected their learned sub-prior, Robert de