1746 to 1766. Crowe's mother died from the effects of her confinement. He was educated at a school in Carlow, and at Trinity College, Dublin, where he won a prize for an English poem. He left college early to take to journalism in London. In 1822 he went to Italy, whence he wrote descriptive letters published in 'Blackwood's Magazine' during 1822 and 1823. He then produced a series of novels, including 'Vittoria Colonna,' 'To-day in Ireland' (1825), 'The English in Italy' (1825), 'The English in France' (1828), 'Yesterday in Ireland' (1829), and 'The English at Home' (1830). He wrote no other novel till 1853, when he published 'Charles Delmer,' a story containing much shrewd political speculation.
He contributed a 'History of France' to Lardner's 'Cabinet Encyclopædia' in 1830; and part of a series of lives of 'Eminent Foreign Statesmen' to the same in 1831, the remainder being contributed by G. P. R. James. The 'History of France,' amplified and rewritten, was published in five volumes in 1858-68. In 1853 he published 'The Greek and the Turk,' the result of a journey made to the Levant to investigate the Eastern question. In 1854 appeared his 'History of Louis XVIII and Charles X.' He had been a spectator of the street struggles in 1830, and had long resided in France. Soon after 1830 he became Paris correspondent of the 'Morning Chronicle. The needs of a growing family compelled him to devote himself exclusively to journalism. He returned to England in 1844. He joined the staff of the 'Daily News' on its foundation in 1846, and was its editor from 1849 to 1851. He also wrote the foreign articles for the 'Examiner' during the editorship of Albany Fonblanque [q. v.], and, later, of John Forster [q. v.] He died, after a painful operation, on 26 Feb. 1868, and was buried at Kensal Green.
Crowe married Margaret, daughter of Captain Archer of Kiltimon, co. Wicklow, at St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin, in 1823. There were six children of the marriage: Eyre Crowe, A.R.A, born 1824; Sir Joseph Archer Crowe (commercial attaché in Paris), born 1825; Eugenie Marie (now Mrs. Wynne); Edward (now deceased), born 1829; Amy Marianne (Mrs. Edward Thackeray, now deceased), born 1831; and Dr. George Crowe, born 1841. He had also a family by a second wife.
[Information from Mr. Eyre Crowe, A.R.A.]
CROWE, WILLIAM (1616–1675), bibliographer, was born in Suffolk in 1616 (Addit. MS. 19165, f. 253), and was matriculated in the university of Cambridge as a member of Caius College ou 14 Dec. 1632. On 4 Dec. 1668 he was nominated by Archbishop Sheldon chaplain and schoolmaster of the hospital of Holy Trinity at Croydon, Surrey, founded by Archbishop Whitgift. This office he held till 1675, when the following entry appears in the Croydon parish register :—' 1675, Ap. 11. William Crow that was skool master of the Free skool, who hanged himselfe in the winde of one of his chambers in his dwelin house, was buried in the church' (Collect. Topog. et Geneal. iii. 308).
He published: 1.'An Exact Collection or Catalogue of our English Writers on the Old and New Testament, either in whole or in part: whether Commentators, Elucidators, Adnotators, or Expositors, at large, or in single sermons,' Lond. 1663, 8vo (anon.); second impression, 'corrected and enlarged with three or four thousand additionals,' Lond. 1668, 8vo. Wood tells us that the presbyterian divine, John Osborne, projected a similar work, and had printed about eight sheets of it, when he was forestalled by Crowe. The work is sometimes called Osborne's, but more generally Crow's Catalogue. It was the precursor of Cooke's 'Preacher's Assistant.' 2. 'Elenchus Scriptorum in Sacram Scripturam tam Græcorum quam Latinorum, &c. In quo exhibentur eorum Gens, Patria, Professio, Religio, Librorum Tituli, Volumina, Editiones variæ. Quo tempore claruerint, vel obierint. Elogia item aliquot Virorum clarissimorum. Quibus omnibus præmissa sunt S. Biblia, partesque Bibliorum, variis linguis variis vicibus edita,' Lond. 1672, 12mo. Dedicated to Archbishop Sheldon, 'his most honourable patron' (Addit. MS. 5865, f. 106 b). In this work Crowe borrowed from Edward Leigh's 'Treatise of Religion and Learning.'
[Authorities cited above; Garrow's Hist. of Croydon, p. 130; Lysons's Environs, i. 200; Wood's Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss, iii. 676, 928.]
CROWE, WILLIAM, D.D. (d. 1743), divine, was educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, where he proceeded B.A. in 1713, was elected to a fellowship, and commenced M.A. in 1717. On 6 Feb. 1721 he became rector of the united parishes of St. Mary Magdalen and St. Gregory, near St. Paul's Cathedral, London, and he was also lecturer at St. Martin's, Ludgate. He was created D.D. at Cambridge in 1728, on the occasion of George II's visit to the university (Cantabrigienses Graduati, ed. 1787, p. 104). In 1730 he obtained the rectory of St. Botolph,