Burton Constable, Sion House and Northumberland House, Wytham in Oxfordshire, and many others. He exhibited several designs for these and other buildings at the Royal Academy. Cundy died 28 Dec. 1825, in his sixty-first year. In 1789 he married, at St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, Mary Hubert of Abingdon Street, Westminster, by whom he was the father of seven sons, the eldest of whom, Thomas [q. v.], succeeded him. James Cundy, his second son, born in 1792, entered the schools of the Royal Academy as a sculptor. In 1817 he exhibited at the British Institution a group of ‘Eve supplicating Adam,’ and in 1818, at the same place, ‘The Judgment of Paris.’ In May 1826 he unfortunately met with a carriage accident in Waterloo Place, from the effects of which he died, leaving by Mary Tansley, his wife, a son, Samuel Cundy, who was of some note as a modeller and mason, and was employed on the restorations at Westminster Abbey, St. Albans Abbey, and elsewhere. He died in 1866, aged about 50. Joseph Cundy (1795–1875), third son of Thomas Cundy the elder, was also well known as a speculative architect and builder in Belgravia, and was father of Thomas Syson Cundy, the well-known surveyor to the Fountaine-Wilson-Montagu estates in the north of England. Nicholas Wilcocks Cundy, born 1778, a younger brother of Thomas Cundy the elder, was distinguished as a civil engineer, and as the projector of a ship canal from Portsmouth to London and one of the four competing schemes for the London and Brighton railway. He also designed the Pantheon in Oxford Street. He married Miss Stafford-Cooke, and unsuccessfully contested the borough of Sandwich.
[Information from Mr. Thomas Cundy; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Graves's Dict. of Artists, 1760–1880; Builder, 1867, pp. 464, 607; Catalogues of the British Institution, Royal Academy, &c.]
CUNDY, THOMAS, the younger (1790–1867), architect, was eldest son of Thomas Cundy [q. v.] and Mary Hubert, his wife. He was associated with his father in many of his undertakings, and on his father's death in 1825 succeeded to his connection and also to his position as surveyor to Earl Grosvenor's London estates. This position he held for forty-one years, during which period the extraordinary speculations of Thomas Cubitt [q. v.] were commenced and completed. Cundy practised as an architect only, and among the important works erected or improved from his designs were Hewell Grange, Tottenham Park, Moor Park, Fawsley Park, and others, including alterations to the house and gallery in Grosvenor Street, the London residence of the Duke of Westminster. In later years he was largely employed in erecting churches in the west end of London, among which may be noted Holy Trinity Paddington, St. Paul's, Knightsbridge, St. Barnabas's, St. Michael's, and St. Gabriel's in Pimlico, and others. Cundy resided latterly at Bromley in Kent, and died 15 July 1867, aged 77. He married Arabella, daughter of John Fishlake of Salisbury, by whom he left three sons and one daughter. His third son, Thomas Cundy, the third of that name, was born in 1820, and associated with his father in many of his undertakings. He eventually succeeded to his connection and his position, and occupies a distinguished place in the ranks of his profession.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Builder, 1867, p. 607; information from Mr. Thomas Cundy.]
CUNGAR or CYNGAR, Saint (fl. 500?), anchorite, is said by Capgrave (Nova Legenda, fo. 80) to have been the son of an emperor of Constantinople and of an empress named Luceria, to have come to this country in the time of Dubritius, bishop of Llandaff (d. 612?), and to have founded an oratory, first at the place called, as it is supposed after him, Congresbury in Somerset, and afterwards in Morganwy, Glamorganshire, placing twelve canons in each. He is further said to have received a grant of land from Iva, king of the English (Ina or Ini, king of the West Saxons, res. 725), and to have been called both by English and Welsh Docwin, because he taught (quod doceret) the people the Gospel. While the circumstances of this legend are of course unhistorical, they are not without meaning. Congresbury was probably of some ecclesiastical importance in British times; for either a monastery or at least a church of sufficient size to be called a minster existed there in the days of Alfred, and was granted by that king to Asser [q. v.], bishop of Sherborne. The name Docwin seems to point to Docwinni, one of the three famous sanctuaries of Llandaff diocese. Again, the story of Ini in connection with a foundation at Wells is associated with the false notions that that king was the founder of the Somerset bishopric, and that the see was originally placed at Congresbury, and with the extremely probable notion that Ini really did set up a collegiate church of some kind at Wells, the existence of which accounts for that place being chosen for the see when the bishopric was founded by Edward the Elder. And if we disregard the dates assigned to Cungar, it may well be that the story of the saint coming