horses killed under him. He was appointed colonel 12th royal lancers in 1825, and transferred to his old corps, the 15th hussars, in 1827. He became lieutenant-general in 1830.
Grant was a K.C.B. and G.C.H., and had the orders of St. Vladimir in Russia and William the Lion in the Netherlands. He was at one time groom of the bedchamber to the Duke of Cumberland. He was returned to parliament at the general election of 1831 for Queensborough, which was disfranchised by the Reform Act. In 1833 he succeeded to large estates at Frampton, Dorsetshire, by bequest of his friend, Francis John Browne, formerly M.P. for that county (see Gent. Mag. vol. ciii. pt. i. p. 545). He stood for Poole in 1835, but was defeated by Mr. Byng, son of the former member. Grant married a daughter of the Rev. John Richards of LongBredy, Dorsetshire, whose wife was a sister of Mr. Browne. He had by her a son, who died, and a daughter, who married in 1834 Richard Brinsley Sheridan, grandson of the famous Sheridan, upon whom the Frampton estates subsequently devolved (Burke, Landed Gentry, 1886 ed., under 'Sheridan'). Grant died at Frampton, 20 Dec. 1835, in the seventy-second year of his age.[Philippart's Royal Military Cal. 1820, iii. 359-60; Gent. Mag. new ser. v. 345. Some account of the 25th light dragoons in the Mysore campaign will be found in Combermere Corresp. vol. i. and in Colburn's United Service Mag. 1838. Some details connected with Grant's other services will be found in Cannon's Hist. Records 36th and 72nd Foot, and 15th Hussars; also in Napier's Peninsular War and Siborne's Waterloo.]
GRANT, DAVID (1823-1886), Scottish poet, born in 1823 in the parish of Upper Banchory, Kincardineshire, was educated at Aberdeen University. He became a teacher in 1852, and for some time kept a school at Elgin. In 1861 he was appointed French master in Oundle grammar school, Northamptonshire. In 1865 he became assistant master of Eccleshall College, a private school near Sheffield. Subsequently he purchased a day school in Sheffield, which proved a failure, and in 1880 he had to retire from his charge penniless. From that date till his death in 1886 he acted as a private tutor in Edinburgh. He published 'Metrical Tales' at Sheffield in 1880, and 'Lays and Legends of the North' at Edinburgh in 1884. 'A Book of Ten Songs,' with music, with a preface by Professor Blackie, appeared after his death. His poems evince a sense of humour, and he had considerable narrative power in verse.[Edwards's Modern Scottish Poets; private information.]
GRANT or GRAUNT, EDWARD (1540?-1601), 'a most noted Latin poet' and head-master of Westminster School, was educated at Westminster, and matriculated as a sizar of St. John's College, Cambridge, 22 Feb. 1563-4, where he completed his exercises for the degree of B.A. about 1567. In February 1571-2 he was granted the degree of B.A. at Oxford by virtue of his residence at Cambridge, and a month later proceeded M.A. in the same university after obtaining a dispensation which relieved him of the necessity of residence (Oxf. Univ. Reg., Oxf. Hist. Soc.ii.ii. 1, 79, 368, iii. 14). Wood says that he was a member first of Christ Church or Broadgates Hall, Oxford, and afterwards of Exeter College. The university register does not mention his connection with any college. He was incorporated M.A. at Cambridge on 16 Dec. 1573, proceeded B.D. at Cambridge in 1577, and D.D. in 1589, being incorporated B.D. at Oxford 19 May 1579. He was a preacher licensed by Cambridge University in 1580, and presented books to St. John's College, Cambridge, 29 April 1579.
Grant became head-master of Westminster in 1572, after serving as assistant master for about two years previously. He retained that office for twenty years, and was succeeded by Camden in February 1592-3. On 15 Dec. 1587 he wrote a Latin letter to the queen begging to be released from teaching after seventeen years' service. The next vacant prebend at Westminster was granted him by letters patent 14 Nov. 1575, and he became a prebendary or canon 27 May 1577. He was vicar of South Benfleet, Essex, from 12 Dec. 1584 till the following year; became rector of Bintree and Foulsham, Norfolk, 20 Nov. 1586; canon of Ely in 1589; rector of East Barnet 3 Nov. 1591, and rector of Toppesfield, Essex, on the queen's presentation 22 April 1598. He was also sub-dean of Westminster Abbey, and dying 4 Aug. 1601 was buried in the abbey. A son Edward, who died 2 Jan. 1587-8, aged five, was previously buried there. Another son, Gabriel, graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge, B.A. 1596-7, M.A. 1600, and D.D. 1612, and became canon of Westminster in 1612.
Grant was the intimate friend of Roger Ascham [q. v.] In 1576 he published a collection of Ascham's letters with an 'Oratio de Vita et Obitu Rogeri Aschami' prefixed, and a dedication of the whole to the queen. He was also author of 'Tῆς Ἑλληνικής γλώσσης σταχυολογία, Græcæ Linguæ Spicilegium in Scholæ Westmonasteriensis Progymnasmata divulgatum,' London, 1575, 4to, de-