death. Haller styles him 'industrius ubique naturæ observator,' and Linnæus dedicated to him the genus Grewia in Tiliaceæ. Besides the portrait above mentioned there is one published by Dr. Thornton.
[Enoch's Translation, by the Rev. John Shower, 1712; notice by Sir J. E. Smith in Rees's Cyclopædia; Munk's Coll. of Phys. i. 406; information supplied by Mrs. Elizabeth Grew.]
GREW, OBADIAH, D.D. (1607–1689), ejected minister, third son of Francis Grew, who married (3 Sept. 1598) Elizabeth Denison, was born at Atherstone, Warwickshire, on 1 Nov. 1607, and baptised the same day at the parish church of Mancetter, Warwickshire. Francis Grew was a layman, originally of good estate but 'crush'd' by prosecutions for nonconformity in the high commission court and Star-chamber. Obadiah was educated at Reading, under his uncle, John Denison, D.D. [q. v.], and was admitted a student at Balliol College, Oxford, in 1624, his tutor being Richard Trimnell. He graduated B.A. on 12 Feb. 1629, M.A. on 5 July 1632. In 1632 he was elected master of the Atherstone grammar school. He was ordained in 1635 by Robert Wright, bishop of Coventry and Lichfield. He was probably lecturer at Atherstone, as well as master of the school. At the outbreak of the civil war he sided with the parliamentary party. Among the thirty parliamentary divines who crowded into Coventry for safety in 1642 were Richard Vines, rector of Weddington, Warwickshire, and Grew, his near neighbour. Both were appointed to preach at St. Michael's Church, which the royalist vicar. William Panting, had deserted. At the end of 1643 the covenant was taken in St. Michael's by all the parishioners. In March 1644 Grew obtained the vicarage from the city corporation. As preacher and pastor he was greatly beloved. The vestry books of 1645 show some puritan changes; the old font was replaced by a new one, and the brass eagle was sold. The 'chymes,' however, were kept in order. In 1646 Grew took part with John Bryan, D.D. [q. v.], in a public disputation on infant baptism at Trinity Church, with Hanserd Knollys and another. Towards the end of 1648 Cromwell was in Coventry on his way to London from Scotland; Grew pleaded with him for the king's life, and is said to have obtained a satisfactory assurance. Later he sent, by private hand, to Cromwell at Whitehall, a strong reminder. On 10 Oct. 1651 he accumulated the degrees of B.D. and D.D. at Oxford. In 1654 he was made assistant to the Warwickshire commission for removing scandalous ministers. He was a member of the Kenilworth classis or presbytery, which included over twenty churches. On 25 May 1653, and again on 12 Nov. 1656, he wrote to the Coventry corporation, complaining of the non-payment of his dues. He approved the rising of the 'new royalists ' in August 1659 [see Booth, George, 1622-1684], and though threatened by Lambert's soldiers, then holding Coventry, refused to read the proclamation against Booth, as required by authority. He welcomed the Restoration.
Unable to comply with the Uniformity Act of 1662, he resigned his living. His bishop, John Hacket [q. v.], was anxious to retain him, and gave him leave to preach a month beyond the appointed day (24 Aug.) without conforming; at the end of September he preached his farewell sermon. The corporation seems to have continued some allowance to him. In 1665, when the alarm of the plague thinned the pulpits throughout the country, Grew, like other nonconformists, began to hold public meetings for worship. The enforcement of the Five Mile Act, which took effect on 25 March 1666, compelled him to remove from Coventry. He returned on the indulgence of 15 March 1672, took out a license, and, in conjunction with Bryan, founded a presbyterian congregation. On the withdrawal of the indulgence (1673) the conventicle was connived at by the corporation in spite of Arlington's remonstrances. On Bryan's death (1675) his brother, Gervase Bryan, took his place. Grew began to train youths for the ministry, one of his pupils being Samuel Pomfret [q. v.] Captain Hickman of Barnacle, Warwickshire, unsuccessfully appeared as an informer against Grew, claiming a fine of 100l. in the recorder's court. At length in 1682 Grew, who had lost his eyesight, was convicted of a breach of the Five Mile Act, and imprisoned for six months in Coventry gaol. While in prison, and in his retirement from Coventry after his release, he every week dictated a sermon to an amanuensis, who read it to four or five shorthand writers, each of whom got several copies made; it was thus available for simultaneous use in twenty clandestine meetings. On 8 Jan. 1685 nearly two hundred persons were imprisoned at Coventry for frequenting these conventicles. James's declaration for liberty of conscience (11 April 1687) restored Grew to his congregation, who obtained a grant of St. Nicholas' Hall (the 'Leather Hall') in West Orchard, and fitted it up as a presbyterian meeting-house. Here Grew officiated till September 1689. He died on 22 Oct. following, and was buried in the chancel of St. Michael's. No portrait of him is known, but there is a rare engraving of his wife. He married