ard, engraved by H. Meyer; by Hayter at Nuneham; by Hudson at Christ Church and All Souls; and by Sir T. Lawrence at Sudbury. On 5 Feb. 1784 he married Anne Leveson-Gower, third daughter of Granville, first marquis of Stafford, and by her, who died at Bishopthorpe Palace 16 Nov. 1832, aged 72, he had sixteen children. His second son, the Rev. Leveson Vernon Harcourt (1788-1860), was chancellor of York and the author of 'The Doctrine of the Deluge,' London, 1838, 2 vols. 8vo, and of other theological works. His fourth son, William Vernon, and eighth son, Admiral Octavius Henry Cyril, are separately noticed.
As a director of the Ancient Concerts, Harcourt entertained his fellow-directors (the prince regent and the Dukes of Cumberland, Cambridge, and Wellington) at his house in Grosvenor Square on 23 Feb. 1821. On the same night the Cato Street conspirators had designed the murder of the cabinet ministers at the house adjoining Harcourt's, where the ministers had agreed to dine with Lord Harrowby. Canning jestingly said that Harcourt and his friends ran some danger of being assassinated in mistake for the cabinet ministers.
Harcourt's publications were: 1. 'A Sermon preached before the Lords on the Anniversary of the Martyrdom of King Charles the First,' 1794. 2. 'A Sermon preached before the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel,' 1798. 3. 'A Sermon preached at the Coronation of George IV,' 1821, which was twice reprinted.[Times, 8 Nov. 1847, p. 5, and 15 Nov. p. 3; Guardian, 10 Nov. 1847, p. 667; Gent. Mag. August 1830, p. 178, and January 1848, pp. 82-84; Harcourt Papers, xii. ; Dibdin's Bibliographical Tour in the Northern Counties. 1838, i. 223-30; Burrows's All Souls, 1874, p. 420; Yorkshire Gazette, 6 Nov. 1847, p. 5, and 13 Nov. p. 5; Churton's Remembrance of a Departed Primate, a Sermon, 1847.]
HARCOURT, HENRY (1612-1673), jesuit, whose real name was Beaumont, third son of Sir Henry Beaumont, knt., of Stoughton, Leicestershire, by Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Turpen, knight, of Knoptoft in that county, was born in 1612 (Publications of the Harleian Soc. ii. 171). He entered the Society of Jesus in 1630, and was made a spiritual coadjutor on 24 May 1643. In 1649 he appears in the Lancashire district, in 1655 in the Hampshire district, and in 1672 in the Suffolk district, where he died on 11 May 1673.
He was the author of 'England's Old Religion faithfully gathered out of the Church of England. As it was written by Ven. Bede almost a Thousand Years agoe (that is) in the year 698 after the Passion of our Saviour. By H. B.,' Antwerp, 1650, 12mo; and again, Antwerp (or London), 1658, 12mo.[De Backer's Bibl. des Écrivains de la Compagnie de Jésus, 1872, ii. 31; Foley's Records, vii. 332; Gillow's Bibl. Dict.; Lowndes's Bibl. Man. (Bohn), p. 144; Oliver's Jesuit Collections, p. 111; Southwell's Bibl. Scriptorum Soc. Jesu, p. 326.]
HARCOURT, alias PERSALL, JOHN (1632-1702), jesuit. [See Persall.]
HARCOURT, OCTAVIUS HENRY CYRIL VERNON (1793–1863), admiral, eighth son of Edward Harcourt [q. v.], archbishop of York, was born at Rose Castle, Cumberland, 25 Dec. 1793. He entered the navy in August 1806 as midshipman on board the Tigre of 74 guns, and in her in the following year witnessed the surrender of Alexandria, and was employed in boat service up the Nile. After assisting at the siege of Toulon, he was transferred into the Malta of 80 guns, and co-operated with the troops on the south-east coast of Spain, and served in the batteries at the siege of Tarragona. Becoming a lieutenant 11 Jan. 1814, he joined the Mulgrave of 74 guns, and landing with the seamen and marines near Piombo captured a martello tower and brought out a convoy which was anchored under its protection. In the Amelia of 38 guns in 1814 he served at the blockade of Elba. He was on half-pay from 1816 until 2 Feb. 1818, when he was appointed to the Sir Francis Drake, the flagship at Newfoundland, where on 3 Feb. 1820 he obtained the command of the Drake sloop, and for a short time in the same year of the Carnation of 18 guns. From 1824 to 1827 he served in the West Indies. He was promoted to be captain 7 July 1827. His last appointment was to the North Star of 28 guns, in which vessel he surveyed the coast of Central America and California, 1834–6. On 15 Jan. 1831 he assumed the additional surname of Harcourt. He was gazetted sheriff of Yorkshire in 1848, and was appointed a vice-admiral on half-pay 4 June 1861. He built at his own expense and endowed a church at Healey, near Masham, another church at Brent Tor, Devonshire, and restored the parish church of Masham. In 1858 he erected in Masham six almshouses which he endowed with 1,775l. three per cent. consols. He died at Swinton Park, Yorkshire, 14 Aug. 1863. He married, 22 Feb. 1838, Anne Holwell, second daughter of William Gater, and widow of William Danby of Swinton Park. She died on 26 June 1879, devising her Yorkshire estates to George, fifth son of Sir Robert Affleck, bart.