Speech of John C. Hobhouse, Esq., M.P., F.R.S., in the House of Commons on Thursday, 27th April, 1826, on the Motion of Lord John Russell for a Reform of Parliament,’ London, 1826, 8vo. 12. ‘Italy: Remarks made in several visits from the year 1816 to 1854. By the Right Hon. Lord Broughton, G.C.B.,’ London, 1859, 8vo, 2 vols. In these volumes the substance of the two parts of the notes to the fourth canto of “Childe Harold” are recast and greatly enlarged. 13. ‘Recollections of a Long Life. By Lord Broughton de Gyfford,’ privately printed, 1865, 8vo, 5 vols.
[Moore's Life of Lord Byron, 1860; An Authentic Narrative of the Events of the Westminster Election, &c., 1819; Edinburgh Review, cxxxiii. 287–337; Quarterly Review, clvi. 103–104, 119–23; Collective Wisdom, or Sights and Sketches in the Chapel of St. Stephen, 1824, pp. 26–36; Fraser's Magazine, xiii. 568; New Monthly Magazine, cxlv. 479–88; Greville Memoirs, 1st ser. 1874, ii. 123, 243, 368, iii. 195, 256, 2nd ser. 1885, i. 241, ii. 405; Annual Register, 1869, pt. ii. pp. 158–9; Times, 4 June 1869, p. 6; Burke's Peerage, &c., 1888, pp. 721–2; Grad. Cantabr. 1856, p. 191; Alumni Westmonasterienses, 1852, pp. 552, 554; Haydn's Book of Dignities, 1851; Notes and Queries, 7th ser. vii. 208, 295; Official Return of Lists of Members of Parliament; Dr. S. Smiles's Life of John Murray, 1891; Brit. Mus. Cat.]
HOBLYN, RICHARD DENNIS (1803–1886), educational writer, eldest son of Richard Hoblyn, rector of All Saints, Colchester, born there on 9 April 1803, was educated at his native town, and at Blundell's School, Tiverton. Thence he went as a scholar to Balliol College, Oxford, where he proceeded B.A. 1824, M.A. 1828. He took orders four years later, but resigning the clerical life, he devoted himself to teaching and educational writing in London. His face was ‘familiar and friendly’ in the borough of Marylebone, where he dwelt for fifty-nine years in the same residence. He died on 22 Aug. 1886. He was married, and had a family. Hoblyn wrote: 1. ‘A Dictionary of Terms used in Medicine and the collateral Sciences’ (with a Supplement, 1832; 11th edit., by J. A. Price, 1887). 2. ‘A Manual of Chemistry, illustrated by engravings,’ 1841. 3. ‘A Manual of the Steam Engine,’ 1842. 4. ‘A Manual of Natural Philosophy’ (with J. L. Comstock, 1846. Largely augmented, 1860). 5. ‘A Dictionary of Scientific Terms,’ 1849, 12mo.
[Information communicated by Mr. R. A. Hoblyn of Somerset House; Marylebone Mercury, 4 Sept. 1886; Cat. Oxford Grad.; Foster's Alumni Oxonienses; Brit. Mus. Cat.]
HOBLYN, ROBERT (1710–1756), book collector, was born at Nanswhyden House, and baptised at St. Columb Major in Cornwall 5 May 1710. His father, Francis Hoblyn, born in 1687, a J.P. for Cornwall and a member of the Stannary parliament, was buried at St. Columb on 9 Nov. 1711. His mother was Penelope, daughter of Colonel Sidney Godolphin of Shropshire. She married secondly, on 5 Sept. 1714, Sir William Pendarves of Pendarves. Robert Hoblyn was educated at Eton, matriculated from Corpus Christi College, Oxford, on 18 Dec. 1727, took a B.C.L. degree in 1734, and in the same year contributed verses to the ‘Epithalamia Oxoniensia.’ He sat as one of the members for the city of Bristol from 24 Nov. 1742 to 8 April 1754, and was appointed speaker of two convocations of the Stannary parliament in Cornwall. He was elected a fellow of the Royal Society 13 June 1745, and admitted 24 Oct.
Early in life he travelled in Italy, where he collected many scarce books. He inherited an ample fortune, which was very largely increased by his success in mining. With his wealth he restored his ancestral home, Nanswhyden House, employing Potter as the architect. This building is described in Dr. Borlase's ‘Natural History of Cornwall,’ 1758, p. 90, pl. viii., engraved at the expense of Mrs. Jane Hoblyn. He delighted in building and collecting books, and destroyed all the documents relating to the cost. The books formed a useful collection, and were divided into the classes of natural and moral philosophy. He made a manuscript catalogue in which he marked with a star those works which were not in the Bodleian. All clergymen and persons of literary tastes had free access to the library.
Hoblyn died at Nanswhyden House on 17 Nov. 1756. His monument in St. Columb Church bears a very long inscription. He married Jane, only daughter of Thomas Coster, merchant, Bristol. She remarried in 1759 John Quicke of Exeter. The estates under the entail went to the issue male of Thomas Hoblyn of Tresaddern, while the library went with the widow to John Quicke. In 1768 Quicke printed the catalogue in two volumes, entitled ‘Bibliotheca Hobliniana sive Catalogus Librorum juxta exemplar quod manu sua maxima ex parte descriptum reliquit Robertus Hoblyn, Armiger de Nanswhyden in Comitatu Cornubiæ.’ An edition in one volume appeared in 1769. Dibdin says in referring to it: ‘I know not who was the author of the arrangement of this collection, but the judicious observer will find it greatly superior to everything of its kind,