to Paris. In the management of Charles's money matters, which were largely in his hands, he gained a reputation for avarice. In the early part of 1652 Colonel Wogan revived the stories of Long's treachery in 1646, and Long not only challenged Wogan to fight, but made a very elaborate defence in writing. In 1653 he incited Sir Richard Grenville to bring an absurd charge against Hyde of having had an interview with Cromwell in London, which was easily disproved, as was another charge of neglect of duty. Long was accordingly dismissed from his secretaryship of the king's council, but in 1654, after asking Hyde's pardon, he was restored to favour. The circumstance that his estate was sequestrated by the parliament in 1651 (cf. Hist. MSS. Comm. 7th Rep. App. p. 122) seems to prove that the charges against him were untrue. In June 1654 he was in London.
At the Restoration Long was made a baronet (1 Sept. 1660); from 8 Sept. 1660 till 1667 he was chancellor of the exchequer; on 21 May 1662 he was made auditor of the exchequer. He continued his friendship with the queen-dowager, for whom from 1661 he again acted as surveyor, his appointment being confirmed on 19 June 1671 (cf. Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1660-1, p. 478, and Hist. MSS. Comm. 11th Rep. pt. iv. p. 28). On 22 Sept. 1670 Charles II granted him a long lease of the Great Park, Great Park Meadow, and a house called Worcester House, all at Nonsuch, Surrey. He seems to have lived there before (cf. Pepys, Diary, iii. 129, 173). On 3 July 1672 he became a privy councillor. Long died unmarried on 13 July 1673, and was buried in Westminster Abbey. He left by his will, dated 27 March, and proved 20 Dec. 1673, 300l. to Sir Richard Mason, the husband of his niece, Anna Margaretta, to be expended for the benefit of his soul, a bequest that roused a suspicion that he was secretly a Roman catholic. His large property passed to his nephew, James (1617-1692) [q. v.], to whom the baronetcy also descended by virtue of the limitation in the patent. A portrait of Long, by Sir Peter Lely, is in possession of Earl Brownlow. Letters from Long may be found in British Museum Additional MSS. 15858, 18982, 21427, and 30305. A series of reports of proceedings in the House of Lords, State Papers, &c., forming Additional MSS. 27323-7, is ascribed to him, but was probably founded on his collections.
[Clarendon's Hist. of the Rebellion, Oxford ed., vols. iv. v.; Cal. of Clarendon State Papers, passim; Manning and Bray's Surrey, ii. 606; Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1660-6; Chester's Reg. of Westminster Abbey; Misc. Gen. et Herald, new ser. iii. 58; Letters to Sir Joseph Williamson (Camel. Soc.), pp. 101, 106, 118; Evelyn's Diary and Corresp. iv. 193-4; Pepys's Diary, ii. 131, iii. 129, 173, iv. 364, v. 4; Return of Members of Parl.; Remembrancia, p. 167; Burke's Extinct Baronetcies.]
LONG, ROBERT BALLARD (1771–1825), lieutenant-general, one of the six children of Edward Long [q. v.], the historian of Jamaica, born at Seale, Surrey, 4 April 1771, was educated at Harrow School and at the university of Göttingen. On 4 May 1791 he was appointed cornet in the 1st king's dragoon guards, in which corps he became lieutenant in April and captain in November 1793. He served with his regiment in Flanders under the Duke of York in 1793-1794, and was deputy adjutant-general to General Sir George Don [q. v.] in the winter retreat to Germany in 1794-5. He returned home from Cuxhaven in January 1796, and after serving as brigade-major and aide-de-camp to General Sir William Pitt at Portsmouth, he obtained a majority in the York rangers, and was appointed lieutenant-colonel of Hompesch's mounted riflemen 7 Feb. 1798. He commanded that regiment in Ireland in 1798 when it was employed under General (Sir John) Moore in Wexford. In 1800 he was transferred to the York hussars, a very fine corps of foreign cavalry, which he commanded, chiefly at Weymouth, until it was disbanded at the peace at Amiens (cf. G. R. Gleig, The Hussar). After studying at the senior department Royal Military College, Great Marlow, Long was appointed lieutenant-colonel in the 16th light dragoons, whence he was transferred in December 1805 to the 15th light dragoons, of which Ernest, duke of Cumberland, afterwards Ernest I of Hanover [q. v.], was colonel. Under Long's command the regiment was converted in 1806 into a hussar corps. The scarlet cloth shako, long a distinctive headdress of the regiment, was copied from the York hussars. Long was appointed colonel on the staff in Spain in 1808. He landed 15 Jan. 1809 at Corunna, the night before the battle, at which he was present, but held no command. He was adjutant-general to Lord Chatham at Walcheren in the same year. In 1810 he joined Wellington's army in Portugal, with the rank of brigadier-general, and commanded a brigade of cavalry under General William Carr Beresford in the affairs of Campo Maior and Los Santos (Gurwood, iv. 720, 775), and under Sir Rowland Hill in the operations of 1811-12 (ib. v. 61, 352, vii. 11 ; Suppl. Desp. xiii. 566, 619, 656). He commanded a brigade, composed of the 9th and 13th light dragoons, at the battle of Vittoria (gold medal) and in Hill's operations in the Pyrenees and the investment of Pam-