Carolina. On the outbreak of the civil war her husband was appointed brigadier-general by the governor, and she accompanied him in his campaigns till his capture at Morres Creek. He was retuned a prisoner in Halifax, Virginia, and by his advice she in 1779 returned to Scotland. The ship was unsuccessfully attacked by a French privateer. Daring the she bravely remained on deck, and had an arm broken. For some time she resided at Milton, where her brother built her cottage; but on the return of her husband they again settled at Kingsburgh, where she died on 5 March 1790. She was wrapped the sheet in which the prince and Dr. Johnson had slept at Kinsburgh, and was buried in the churchyard of Kilmuir. The original marble slab erected on her grave was chipped to pieces and carried off, but subsequently an obelisk was erected by subscription her memory. She had five sons; Charles, captain of the queen's rangers; Alexander and Ranald. naval officers, who went down with the Ville de Paris, De Grasse's flagship, which foundered on its way home to England on 12 April 1782; James of Flodigarry, and John (1759–1831) [q.v.] Of her daughters, Anne married Alexander Macleod of Lochbay, Skye, and Frances, Lord Donald Macleod. Two children died young.
A portrait of Flora Macdonald by Allan Ramsay is in the Bodleian Library of Oxford, and was engraved by MacArdell; another painting by W. Robertson is in the possession of Lord Donnington; a third is in the town-hall at Inverness.
[Particulars of Flora Macdonald's adventures with Prince Charles Edward were given to Dr. Johnson, and written down by Boswell. The account of the Wanderings of Prince Charles Edward and Flora Macdonald, from the original manuscript of one of their attendants, 1839, is grandiloquent and affected. Another account was published in the New Monthly Mag. 1840. The so-called autobiography by her granddaughter, 1870, is of little value. An Account of the Young Pretender's Escape is also printed Appendix to Lockhart Papers, ii. 544-7. A Life by Alexander Macgregor (afterwards Mackenzie) appeared in 1882, and Flora Macdonald in Uist by W. Jolly in 1886. See also Ewald's Life and Times of Charles Edward, 1886, and Cat. Stuart Exhibition, 1889, pp. 107, 113-15.]
MACDONALD, HUGH (1701–1773), Scottish catholic prelate, sod of the laird of Morar, Inverness-shire, born in 1701, after completing his studies in the seminary of Scalan, was ordained priest in 1726 by Bishop James Gordon (1664–1746) [q.v.] When in 1727 Bishop Gordon, with Pope Benedict XIII's assent, divided Scotland, hitherto one episcopate, into two districts or vicariates [see Gordon, James, 1664–1746], Macdonald was nominated to the vicariate of the highland district, and to the see of Diana in Numidia, in partibus infidelium (13 Feb. 1780–1), and he was consecrated in Edinburgh, 18 Oct. 1731, by Bishop Gordon, assisted by Bishop Wallace and a priest. In the briefs Clement XII caused a clause to he inserted empowering Macdonald and Gordon to define the limits of their respective jurisdictions. The partition was accordingly arranged in October 1731, and it was approved by Propaganda in a congregation held 7 Jan. 1731-2.
When Prince Charles Stuart arrived on the western coast of Scotland, near Borrodale, in July 1745, the bishop hastened to him, and vainly urged him to return to France. On 19 Aug. the prince's royal standard was blessed by the bishop, and displayed in Glenfinnan, a part of Moidart belonging to Macdonald of Glenaladale. After the rebellion the bishop escaped to Paris, and obtained from the crown of France a pension, which he enjoyed until his death, under the name of Marolle. He returned to Scotland in 1749, and being betrayed by a namesake, he was apprehended at Edinburgh in July 1765. On his trial in March 1750 he was found guilty of being a popish priest, and condemned to perpetual banishment, but by connivance of the authorities this sentence was not enforced. He died in Glengarry on 12 March 1773.
[London and Dublin Weekly Orthodox Journal, 1837, iv. 83; Catholic Directory. 1892, 1. 60, 61: Stolhert's Catholic Mission in Scotland. pp. 7, 30, 105; Brady's Episcopal Succession. iii. 465, 466.]