Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 44.djvu/245
gistered P. C. C., Grey, f. 9; State Papers, Charles I, Dom. vol. ccxxxvi. No. 17; Payne Fisher's Tombs in St. Paul's, p. 79; Prefaces to Peerson's publications.]
PEETERS, GERARD (fl. 1582–1592), author, was educated at Westminster School, whence he was elected scholar of Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1582; he matriculated on 13 Oct. in that year, graduated B.A. in 1586–7, and M.A. in 1590. In 1587 he was elected to a fellowship of Trinity, but vacated it between 1592 and 1595. He has Greek verses in the university collection on the death of Sir Philip Sidney (Acad. Cantabr. Lachrymæ, p. 72), and was probably the author of: 1. ‘Libellus de Memoria verissimaque bene recordandi scientia. Authore G. P. Cantabrigiense. Huc accessit ejusdem Admonitiuncula ad A. Dis-conum [sic] de Artificiosæ Memoriæ, quam publice profitetur, vanitate,’ London, 1584, printed by Robert Waldegrave and dedicated to John Verner. 2. ‘Antidicsonus cujusdam Cantabrigiensis G. P. Accessit libellus in quo dilucide explicatur impia Dicsoni Artificiosa Memoria,’ London (by Henry Midleton for John Harrison), 1584, 12mo. It is dedicated to Thomas Moufet [q. v.] Copies of both works are in the British Museum Library.[Works in Brit. Mus. Libr.; Acad. Cantabr. Lachrymæ, London, 1587, 4to, p. 72; Ames's Typogr. Antiq. ed. Herbert, p. 1141; Cole's MSS. xlv. 237, 300; Cooper's Athenæ Cantabr. ii. 178–9; List of Queen's Scholars, p. 57.]
PEETERS or PIETERS, JOHN (1667–1727), painter, born at Antwerp in 1667, was related to the eminent marine painter Bonaventura Peeters. He studied painting at Antwerp under a history painter called Eeckhout, and in 1685 came to England with a recommendation to Sir Godfrey Kneller [q. v.] Peeters worked with Kneller for several years, being one of Kneller's chief drapery painters until 1712, when he left, and devoted himself chiefly to mending and repairing damaged pictures and drawings. From his success in this line he obtained the nickname of ‘Doctor Peeters.’ He was also a skilled copyist, especially of the works of Rubens. He was one of the masters of George Vertue [q. v.], the engraver, who spoke highly of his merits as a teacher. Peeters was a man of a lively disposition and improvident nature, and, after suffering much from the gout, he died in London in September 1727, and was buried in St. Martin's-in-the-Fields.[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Vertue's Diaries (Brit. Mus. Addit. MS. 23076, f. 27).]
PEGGE, Sir CHRISTOPHER, M.D. (1765–1822), son of Samuel Pegge the younger [q. v.], by his first wife, was born in London in 1765. He entered Christ Church, Oxford, as a commoner on 18 April 1782, and graduated B.A. on 23 Feb. 1786. He was elected a fellow of Oriel College in 1788, and thence graduated M.A. and M.B. on 10 June and 18 July 1789. He returned to Christ Church, was appointed Lee's reader in anatomy there in 1790, and thence proceeded M.D. on 27 April 1792. On 9 Nov. 1790 he became physician to the Radcliffe Infirmary, and a fellow of the Royal Society in 1795. He was knighted on 26 June 1799, and in 1801 was appointed regius professor of physic at Oxford. He was elected a fellow of the College of Physicians on 25 June 1796, delivered the Harveian oration in 1805, and became a censor in 1817, having left Oxford the year before, and taken a house in George Street, Hanover Square, in hopes of obtaining relief from a severe asthma by change of abode. Soon after the same cause led him to move to Hastings. He had resigned his readership in 1816, but retained the regius professorship, an office the duties of which were small. He attended in the university, in accordance with the statutes, and died in Oxford, after an asthmatic seizure, on 3 Aug. 1822. He was master of the charitable foundation known as Ewelme Hospital, and was buried in Ewelme church, where his epitaph in the south aisle has become almost illegible. His portrait was painted by T. Nevins, and was engraved. He is represented in his full academical dress.[Munk's Coll. of Phys. ii. 449; Foster's Alumni Oxon. 1715–1886.]
PEGGE, SAMUEL the elder (1704–1796), antiquary, born on 5 Nov. 1704 at Chesterfield, Derbyshire, was son of Christopher Pegge by his wife Gertrude, daughter of Francis Stephenson of Unstone, near Chesterfield. Christopher Pegge (d. 1723), who belonged to a family that had lived for several generations at Osmaston, near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, was a woollen dealer at Derby, and afterwards a lead merchant at Chesterfield, of which place he was three times mayor.
Samuel Pegge was educated at Chesterfield, and became a pensioner and scholar of St. John's College, Cambridge, in 1722. He graduated B.A. 1725, M.A. 1729. He was elected to a lay fellowship on the Beresford foundation of his college on 21 March 1726, but was removed in favour of Michael Burton (afterwards vice-master of St. John's), who claimed founder's kin. Pegge was then