the Foundacion of Rhetorike, because all the Foundacion of Rhetorike, because all other Partes of Rhetorike are grounded thereupon,’ &c., imprinted by Jhon Kingston, 4to, 1563, dedicated to Lord Robert Dudley. This was long popular (cf. Fulwood, Enemie of Idleness, 1593, p. 19). 2. ‘A Chronicle of all the Noble Emperors of the Romaines, &c., set forthe by Richard Reynoldes, Doctor in Physicke, Anno 1571;’ besides a work in manuscript, ‘De statu nobilium virorum et principum,’ with preface dedicated to the Duke of Norfolk, preserved in the Stillingfleet MSS. (Warton, Hist. of English Poetry, ed. Hazlitt, iv. 249).
Tanner wrongly identifies the author of the ‘Foundacion of Rhetorike’ with Robert Rainolde or Reinold, LL.D., who became prebendary of Winchester on 25 Nov. 1558, and died in 1595 (Bibl. Brit. p. 615; Le Neve, Fasti, ed. Hardy, iii. 42).
[Cooper's Athenæ Cantabr. ii. 444; Lemon's Cat. of State Papers, 1579, pp. 631, 641; Newcourt's Repert. Eccles. ii. 360, 555, 592; Tanner's Bibl. Brit. p. 616; Carter's Cambridge, p. 325; Goodall's Coll. of Physicians, p. 315; Ames's Typogr. Antiq. ed. Herbert, pp. 836, 860, 963.]
REYNOLDS, RICHARD (1674–1743), bishop of Lincoln, baptised at Leverington, near Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, on 17 July 1674, was son of Richard Reynolds (1631–1682), rector of Leverington (parish register). His mother, Hester, was a daughter of George Conyars, by Dorothy Bushel, formerly maid of honour to Queen Henrietta Maria. A grand-uncle, Richard Reynolds, was slain at Carlisle, fighting on the royalist side, in 1644. There was thus a family tradition of loyalty to the Stuarts. After private education at Moulton and Peterborough, Reynolds became pensioner of Sidney-Sussex College on 31 Dec. 1689, and was elected foundation scholar in 1690. Following a somewhat unusual academic course, he left Sidney-Sussex College to be admitted, on 12 Nov. 1694, a fellow commoner of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, whence he graduated LL.B. in 1695. He proceeded LL.D. from Sidney-Sussex College in 1701 (Cole MSS.) Taking holy orders, and marrying Sarah, daughter of Dr. Richard Cumberland, bishop of Peterborough, Reynolds was instituted rector of St. Peter's, Northampton, and chancellor of the diocese of Peterborough. He was installed in a prebend at Peterborough on 25 Aug. 1704, and was promoted to the deanery at the close of 1718, in succession to White Kennett. On 3 Dec. 1721 he was consecrated bishop of Bangor at Lambeth chapel. In 1723 he was translated to Lincoln, and held that bishopric for twenty years. On 7 Sept. 1727 he was elected a member of 'the Gentleman's Society at Spalding' [see Johnson, Maurice]. He died in Charles Street, Westminster, on 15 Jan. 1743-4, and was buried, as he desired, in Buckden church, Huntingdonshire; there was no inscription on his tomb. He was liberal in his lifetime, and left little property. His wife, who died on 7 April 1740, is also buried at Buckden together with a daughter, called 'the Hon. Anna Sophia Reynolds,' who died on 20 Aug. 1737. Of the bishop's six sons, Charles (1702-1766) was chancellor of Lincoln from 1728 till his death. The eldest son, George, held, among other preferments, which he owed, it is said, not to his father, but to Sir Robert Walpole, that of archdeacon of Lincoln from 1725 till his death in 1769; he settled on an estate at Little Paxton, Huntingdonshire, which is still held by the family. Reynolds's literary remains consist of three sermons (1722, 1727, and 1735) and a strongly protestant and Hanoverian 'Charge at the Primary Visitation, begun at the Cathedral Church, Bangor, May 30, 1722.'
[Willis's Survey of Cathedrals; Nichols's Literary Anecd. of the Eighteenth Century; Allen's Hist, of the County of Lincoln; Reynolds's letters and private papers ; extracts from the Leverington parish register most kindly furnished by the Rev. C. B. Drake.]
REYNOLDS, RICHARD (1735–1816), quaker-philanthropist, only son of Richard Reynolds (d. 1769), an iron merchant of Bristol, by his wife, Jane Dunn or Doane, was born at Bristol on 1 (or 12) Nov. 1735. He was great-grandson of Michael Reynolds of Farringdon, Berkshire, one of the earliest converts to quakerism, an account of whose ‘Sufferings’ is published in ‘The Antient Testimony of the Primitive Christians,’ 4to, 1860.
After being educated by Thomas Bennett at Pickwick, Wiltshire, Reynolds was apprenticed to William Fry, a grocer in Bristol, in 1749. On the expiration of his apprenticeship in 1756, he became a partner in the large ironworks at Ketley in Coalbrookdale, Shropshire, of Abraham Darby [q. v.], whose daughter Mary he married at Shrewsbury on 20 May 1757. She died suddenly on 24 May 1762, leaving two children. Subsequently, upon the death of his father-in-law, and during the minority of his brothers-in-law, Reynolds assumed the charge of the extensive works at Coalbrookdale, then the most important of the kind in England. Reynolds's energy and business capacity did much to develop and extend them. Under his direction the cylinders of most of the early steam-engines were cast